Again, many other families had the same idea, their yards filled with people and food.

Dad and Grandpa were currently in the backyard bickering about how to cook the meat. Grandma, who was having one of her better days, was traveling amongst the tables, making idle chit-chat while Henry boasted to his friends about his near-death experience.

Every so often, my eyes would dart to the end of the driveway, looking for Wade. He had to travel back to his office to prepare some things in the aftermath of the "cure" for Lupoxia, but he had promised to attend tonight.

While all was not forgotten between Wade and me, the fact our acceptance of each other had been able to potentially break the bad luck streak for Bluestrike spoke volumes. Wade's words—while nice to hear—had been hard to believe at first. But actions, the actions of my brother getting better, outshadowed my doubt.

Plus, Henry would never let him live it down if he didn't show up. He was telling everyone—unofficially to stir even more commotion—that Alpha Wade would be in attendance.

Wade had yet to make an official appearance to the pack. He knew, in light of everything, that making an appearance was inevitable in the coming days, but he wanted the time to be right. He wanted to say the exact right thing. He still had the legacy of his father's rule hanging over him, and he felt the pressure.

I didn't blame him, but I wished one day he would see that showing up and giving it his all would be enough for Bluestrike.

"You know, Olivia," Spencer hesitated.

"Shut up," she shrieked, shaking her head. "You know, after spending so much time learning in the kitchens, I know over a hundred ways to kill you, and you wouldn't even notice a thing."

"A hundred?" Spencer mused. "I'm disappointed."

Unlatching her arm from me, she stood up straight. "Actually, I think I'm going to help Vi's Dad and Grandpa. From the sounds of it, they're the ones who are actually going to kill us all with their food."

She got up and scurried to the backyard, but Spencer was not far along in pursuit. "Wait up, Liv. I don't trust you." He panted after her.

I shook my head at the two of them, and my attention darted back toward the end of the driveway. A wide grin fell on my face as I watched Wade saunter over to me. He nodded his head in Henry's direction, who, by now, was grinning even more intently than me.

"Hey," he breathed, his fingers toying with the straps of the gift he had brought for Henry.

"You came," I said, sitting up.

He set the bag down on the table and leaned over the tabletop, brushing the hair from my face. "I'll always come back for you, Violet."

Looking into his eyes, I said, "You might regret that."

"I—" He grinned, tilting his head as he tried to conjure the right thing to say.

"I wouldn't speak too soon. You've only met my friends and family when they were on their best behavior."

"I—" He began again but was cut off by Grandpa's curt scolding.

"Olivia, I am decades older than you, girl. I think I know how to cook a burger," he billowed, hands on his hips as he followed Spencer and Olivia out to the driveway.

"Sure," she grimaced. "But I'm afraid you're going to overcook it and send it to its second death far too early."

Grandpa scowled. "Bea," he called after Grandma. "Bea, darling, you have to—"