31 | her revelation

Start from the beginning

He rolled his eyes. "Yes, it's a Tuesday, but, more specifically, what is today?"

His eyes pointed to the sky while my eyes swept over the grassy clearing. "A confusing Tuesday?"

He breathed through his nostrils and explained, "Sure, I guess. But also, no. You're wrong. Today is Tuesday, but today is also an eclipse."

"An eclipse," I repeated as I titled my head in thought. "Wait, are you sure?"

"I would put my life on it."

"A Cele—" I began to say.

"A Celestial Event, precisely," he seemed to be proud I could put the pieces together after having been confused for a long while. "We'll just have to wait until the eclipse. We're in the right place, but it's not the right time."

"So you're saying a cabin will just magically appear during the eclipse?" I inquired, taking a step closer to Wade.

"I'm not sure," he shrugged his shoulders. "I just know we're in the right place."

After Wade had me somewhat convinced we were in the right place, Wade and I sat by the edge of the clearing, our backs resting against a tree. I could smell Wade's alluring scent. It engulfed me, reminding me of the first day I had ever encountered it before.

It felt like a lifetime away.

Not long ago, Wade wouldn't have even looked in my direction if he could help it. But now, things are different. The bond had begun to latch on to us. We could deny the bond all we wanted—not that that was what I wanted—but the roots of our bond had begun to fester.

"What are you smiling at?" Wade asked, breaking the silence between us.

By now, the sun had begun to droop, and the eclipse was nearing. It was only a matter of time before we found out if Wade was really right. If we were indeed in the right place.

I bit my lip and responded, "Nothing."

"Violet," he said my name, and my resolve crumbled. The way my name sounded on the tip of his tongue still felt so right, like maybe my name shouldn't have been the only thing of mine on his tongue.

"Wade," I mimicked his tone.

"Violet," he repeated.

Turning my head in the opposite direction, I grew the strength to say, "I was just thinking about something?"

"Something?" I could hear the curiosity in his voice.

"Us," I declared, still looking in the opposite direction.

"Oh," his voice turned soft, but there was an edge of anxiety.

Turning my head back to face Wade, he was the one averting eye contact, peering in the opposite direction. He cleared his throat and fiddled with his hands.

"Wad—"

Abruptly whipping his head to look at me, Wade's Adam's apple bobbed up and down, "Do you trust me?"

"I," I started to say, and then I paused.

Did I trust Wade? I had trusted him when I was in heat, and it had been one of the best decisions of my life. However, the rational part of my brain told me I shouldn't fully trust him. He wasn't being forthright with me. He was holding back information, but he was my mate, and he had recently begun to open up.

Chewing the inside of my mouth, I started again, "I—I do trust you. I think."

He smirked, but then his face grew dark. "Hold onto that, okay, Violet. When the eclipse—" Wade paused to look up at the sky. "When the eclipse begins and everything goes down, I want you to remember that, okay?"