...𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝙷𝚎 𝙺𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚎𝚍 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚖

"Tell me, Xiao," Zhongli spoke, "What has been troubling you so much?" The yaksha looked at him, and for a moment, he was tempted to lie. After all, how could his former leader help with a situation like this? He'd witnessed both of your lives countless times, and he knew better than anyone that you were long gone now.

Still, there was something behind those golden eyes that told Xiao he had to try. He had to reach out for help from someone, and who better to ask than his former Archon? So after a moment he finally sighed.

"I started reading that series when the traveler gave me the first book for my birthday." He admitted, nodding towards the eleventh copy, which rested on the table in between them both. "I had expected it to be a waste of time, but then it felt so familiar as I was reading it."

Zhongli nodded for him to continue, patiently waiting for him to get to the point, which Xiao suspected he might already have been made aware of somehow.

"I read the next ones too, and they were just as familiar," The Adeptus explained, then paused. He took in a breath, recollecting himself before continuing on to his next point. "They...they all mirror Y/n's past lives down to the smallest details." The man in front of him didn't even seem surprised as he continued listening, paying close attention to Xiao's words. "Every single book is the same story as one of their lives, and I am concerned about the intentions of the author."

"Their identity is unknown, correct?" Zhongli asked, earning a nod from the yaksha.

"Yes...I have been trying to look into who they are, but they seem very private about their personal life and wish to remain anonymous," he took a deep breath again, "I am worried Y/n may have returned this world again...Perhaps with their memories, and is now being forced to tell their story for this so-called writer's personal gain."

"...That is quite a serious situation." Zhongli replied, leaning back in his chair as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Do you have any proof?"

"No." Xiao admitted, "Just that every book furthers their story. I also worry someone may have been watching us this whole time and has now decided to write about us for their own purposes. That's why I need to find this author."

He could feel his blood begin to boil again at just the thought of it but tried to keep himself calm anyway. Now was not the time to let his anger get out of control, even if the idea of someone doing such horrible things to you both made him absolutely furious.

Zhongli said nothing; taking in the information. After a moment, he finally breathed a deep sigh before looking up to meet Xiao's eyes again.

"I may have another hypothesis to add." He admitted softly, and the yaksha's attention instantly snapped back to him.

"What is it?" He asked urgently, making the ex-Archon's eyes soften more.

"Xiao, do you remember Y/n's original life, and how they were a deity?" He replied, making the Adeptus nod.

"Of course."

"Do you know what they were the deity of?" He asked, making Xiao pause. Despite how close the two of you had been, that topic had never been explained to him. He'd asked you before, but you'd been very hesitant to answer, as if the response might be something negative. Since it always seemed to make you so uncomfortable, he hadn't asked again.

It never mattered what you were supposed to represent; he would have loved you anyway. but if Zhongli was bringing it up now, then it must be relevant to what was currently happening.

"No," he admitted, "They didn't tell me."

Zhongli's eyes softened at this, and he looked down at the book on the table with sad eyes. He wouldn't have wanted to be the one to break the news to Xiao, but he had to know at some point, and he was the last person that could tell him the truth since you never came back to life with your memories intact.