𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑀𝑒𝑠𝑠𝑒𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑟

A/n: I got inspired with this one after watching the 2020 Violet Evergarden movie so here we are! (I know I'm late to see it but better late than never). That's also why we have a Violet Evergarden track for this chapter so enjoy! The music is so pretty.

..........

"Must you really insist on going out at a time like this?" Xiao asked with a sigh, watching you grab your bag and pull on your rain coat. He was currently sitting on your shared bed in your shared room in the Wangshu Inn, where you both lived. After handling most of the immediate threats for the day, he'd made his way back to you in the hopes that you both could spend the rainy day in each other's arms.

However, you'd already been getting ready when he returned, and insisted on doing your job, despite the horrible weather.

"Yes." You replied simply, pulling the hood over your h/c hair as you made sure your bag was secured over your shoulder. "This is important, Xiao."

"What could be so important that you have to go out in this rain when there have already been more sightings of enemies than usual?" He replied, his voice a little harsher than how he usually spoke to you. Though, having known him for so many years, you could tell he was just worried for your safety. Still, you were determined.

"A letter; that's what." You replied, holding up the light blue envelope before shoving it securely into your bag again. "Plus, didn't you already clear out the camps nearby? I trust your work, so I have nothing to worry about."

Sometimes, you really got on his nerves. Though, his concerns were all out of love. He could be kind of...No, very protective sometimes, and although you didn't know the true backstory as to how he'd come to be this way, you knew he had good reason.

After all, he hated losing you more than anything. Even if it was inevitable, he always wanted to prolong your many lives as much as possible. Then, he could at least know he'd done all he could.

"How could a letter be worth risking your life for?" Xiao asked finally, his voice softening a little. He knew how much your duties as a messenger meant to you; he just didn't understand your way of thinking in this situation. Surely, any message could wait, couldn't it?

"You don't get it," you sighed, turning back to him with your hands on your hips, "Look, this one is. I promised Mr. Goldet that I'd deliver it to his lover, and plus, I'm sure I'll be fine. It's just over in Liyue Harbor." Xiao sighed when you mentioned the name of the current inn keeper. Mr. Goldet had taken over after the death of your last self since you'd known him when he was very young and trusted him with your home.

Xiao hadn't disagreed, but he'd had very limited interactions with the man anyway. They didn't bother one another, and that was it. After all, the only inn keeper he'd ever cared about was you.

"Can't it wait?" The yaksha asked finally, making you pause.

"Usually it could," You admitted, "But this time it's a little time sensitive. His lover, Keya is boarding a ship to Natlan tomorrow. If I wait, she'll be gone before I can give it to her."

Xiao still didn't seem convinced, so you sighed and ran a hand through your hair.

"He wants to tell her how he truly feels," you explained, "That way, she can finally decide whether or not she really wants to leave. You know?" He paused, and for a second, it almost seemed like he understood where you were coming from. But then he frowned again.

"How is that your problem?"

You sighed, turning back to the door as you opened it to step into the hall. "As a messenger, it matters to me," you admitted, "I'm just going to run over to the harbor and come right back. I should be fine, but if not, I'll just call for you."