𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑂𝑟𝑒 𝑀𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑟

You looked down into the cave below, your stomach churning with nerves as you observed just how far down it ran. You couldn't even see the bottom from where you stood, and that was certainly not a good sign.

"So, uh, boss?" One of the others in your group, Zian, spoke up, "How are we supposed to mine down there if we can't even get to the bottom?" Those were your thoughts exactly, but considering how intimidating your boss was despite how long you'd known him, you were glad he'd said something in your place.

"Sure, we can get down there." Your boss, Pavlov, replied simply as he gestured towards the stack of mining equipment that had been slumped by the cave entrance. "We just have to repel, like with any of the deeper caverns back home."

"But back home those caverns are charted and well explored." Zian argued back, and you applauded his boldness for being able to stand up to the other man. He was certainly braver than you, that was for sure. "With all due respect sir, we don't know anything about these caves. It wouldn't be smart to just send us all down there with no other plan or defenses."

You definitely agreed, especially considering you weren't technically supposed to be conducting this expedition anyway.

The infamous Archon War had ended only two years ago, and Liyue had just barely been established as a nation, just like all the others. The place you were currently standing in was called The Chasm, and it was known to be extremely dangerous for a number of reasons.

Yet of course, your boss hadn't cared about that. Your mining team had traversed many dangerous caves over the years and come out alive; even though the caverns found in your home in Natlan were known to be some of most treacherous around. Because of that, he assumed you all were up to the task of extracting rare and beautiful ores from The Chasm too, even without the proper permits having been granted.

He'd dodged the question every time anyone brought it up, but you were pretty sure it wasn't even technically legal for anyone to be mining here as it was. But since no one was around, there also wouldn't be any witnesses to tell on you.

At least, that was what you thought.

At the far end of the Chasm, standing atop one of the peaks that overlooked it all, was an Adeptus you had no familiarity with, but who knew about you all too well.

Xiao frowned as he watched the group of mortals debating what to do; his eyes trained on you the entire time. He'd watched you all enter the nation of geo with a scornful look at first, but that only lasted until he noticed you among the team.

After that, it had been hard for him to contain the pounding of his heart as he realized you'd found him once again. All plans to stop your team or tell your boss off for entering a restricted area had left his mind as he froze up just from the sight of you. He had no doubt in his mind that this was the new version of you; the fourth life now that you'd reincarnated once again.

It came partly as a surprise, considering after your last death, he'd once again expected it to be the last time he saw you. But at the same time, he'd partially expected this to happen again.

He was torn as he watched you interact with the others, looking nervous but still as beautiful as always. On one hand, he wanted to teleport over right then and there to see you again. He wanted to start your love story all over again so he could be with you, but he hesitated.

Thinking back to what had happened the last three times he'd decided to spend his life with you made him stop in his tracks.

You always left in the end. It was never your fault, of course, but that didn't stop it from happening. If he ran into your open arms again, he'd just be repeating the cycle of pain you both always went through.