𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐷𝑒𝑖𝑡𝑦

A/n: Since the last part was already featured as a teaser in my other book, Viatrix, I'm uploading this one today too so you get some new content this week! Enjoy!

...........

Xiao raced across the battlefield as fast as he could, knowing he was running out of time. To anyone around, he appeared as a swirling green blur, using his anemo vision to gain more speed and power with every step.

His heart pounded in his chest, threatening to rip right out of his body. With every passing second, it only grew faster. He'd heard your call the second his name left your lips; loud and clear in his ears. The instant you called for him, he'd dropped everything and left mid-battle to get to your side.

He pushed himself to run faster, willing his body to just keep going despite how exhausted he felt. It didn't matter that he'd been fighting for hours now; if you needed him, then he would be there.

He would have teleported, but he was still in the process of refining that ability. He couldn't go between long distances yet, and based on where he'd sensed your presence when you called out his name, it seemed like you were all the way on the opposite side of Rex Lapis' territory.

You'd recently moved over there because it was on the border, right next to where Decarabian ruled. They needed more strength now that he was becoming extra aggressive and, of course, you'd been the first to volunteer.

He cursed your kind hearted nature once again, just like he'd done on the day you told him you'd be moving there. It may have been one of the reasons he'd fallen in love with you, but now it was the thing that kept you apart.

He hadn't seen you since you moved there, and it had already been two weeks. In a war, it shouldn't have mattered, but not having his lover with him wasn't doing any favors for his morale. He'd already asked to be switched over with you, but since he worked best alongside the other Yakshas, who were stationed near the Chasm, he had to stay with them for the time being.

Maybe if he'd pleaded harder, he could have gotten to you sooner. But it didn't matter now; he was already too late.

By the time he arrived at your side, you were already beyond saving. Seeing you laying on the ground covered in your own blood and tears, he instantly dropped his polearm and ran to you.

"Y/n!" He called, collapsing to his knees at your side. Hearing his voice, you weakly turned your head to look at him, your lips curving into a smile as you gazed into his eyes, which had already begun to fill with tears.

"Oh, hey Xiao..." You said quietly, wincing in pain as he pulled you into his arms, letting your torso rest gently over his lap.

There was no one else around; all the Adepti that were supposed to support you had either succumbed to their own wounds already or were fighting battles of their own. It was just you and Xiao, like he'd always preferred. Only now, it felt so bittersweet.

You yourself were looking worse for wear. Your clothes were soaked in blood, and several big gashes covered your arms and legs. Crimson trickled down from your forehead, where Xiao assumed you'd suffered some sort of blunt trauma. On top of that, there was a huge wound on your stomach where it looked like someone had stabbed you with a spear, though the weapon was nowhere to be found now.

To Xiao, you still looked as beautiful as ever. He just wished he could preserve that beauty forever.

"...What happened to you?" He whispered, a hand reaching up to stroke your cheek. You leaned into his touch, your smile still not fading despite all the pain.

"Decarabian tried to seize this area..." You admitted weakly, your body beginning to feel so cold as you lost more blood, "I stopped him...Are you proud of me?" The question nearly broke him as he let out a sob, holding your body tighter to his own.