"Sven Damaris! Have you even checked your grades before? Do you still have the audacity to skip classes? Do you even want to be promoted to Year 12, or are you–" Mr. Mitchell started scolding the guy, presumably Sven, but he seemed completely unfazed by the reprimand.

"Good morning, too, Mr. Mitchell. If you keep talking like that, you'll get old before your age," Sven interrupted, marching toward the fourth row. The class snickered as everyone covered their mouths. Mr. Mitchell appeared angry but ultimately ignored Sven and continued his lecture. I was surprised Mr. Mitchell didn't pursue this matter, even after seeing how disrespectful the guy was.

Sven walked up to the vacant seat next to mine, which was by the window. His attention wasn't on anyone in the class. Instead, he almost tossed his bag on the desk and slouched into his seat, putting his head on the bag and gazing out of the window, completely disregarding the whole classroom.

My eyebrows furrowed at his behavior. He was... rude. I instinctively glanced at the seat behind me.

The girl who sat behind me appeared absorbed in writing something in her notebook, seemingly unfazed by the scene. It looked like Sven's disruptive behavior was quite common.

Perhaps he always acted like this. When I realized I was staring at her lost in my own thoughts, I quickly looked front and turned my attention back to the lecture.

Sven's arrival aside, the rest of the class continued with its usual routine. When it was lunchtime, I took out my lunch and made my way to the shared courtyard between the main building and the sixth form block. I avoided the cafeteria since it was crowded, and I felt uncomfortable in such places.

The courtyard was nearly empty since most students were having lunch in the cafeteria. I chose a small bench in the corner, away from the other students.

As I quietly ate my lunch, I gazed at the building of the sixth form block. Ares was a Year 12 student, and that's why he was in a different building. There was no way we'd have a chance encounter this year.

When I will promote to Year 12 next year, we might share the same floor, building, cafeteria, and even labs and the library. Just the thought brought a smile to my face.

"It would take a high level of luck to catch a glimpse of him here in this courtyard," I murmured to myself, sighing lightly.

This was the shared courtyard, so it wasn't entirely impossible, as I could see some seniors on the other side of the yard.

Encouraging myself, I ate my lunch, savoring the sandwich my mom had made and the small piece of cake she baked for me. It was moments like these that made me feel close to home.

"Oh, you're here! I've been looking for you everywhere," a voice from behind startled me.

I looked back to see Aubrey standing behind the bench, gazing down at me with a sweet smile.

Oh?!

I thought she wouldn't talk to me after learning that I'm not from a wealthy background, then... why?

She circled around the bench and sat beside me, her smile unwavering.

"Why are you sitting here alone?" she asked.

"Um, no reason. I just wanted to sit here," I replied, closing my empty lunchbox and setting it aside.

Glancing around, I noticed the courtyard filling up with students from both buildings.

"You don't know anyone here, do you?" Aubrey asked, observing me looking around.

I shook my head. "It's just my first day, so..."