𝟐𝟏 | 𝐚𝐜𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝

Start from the beginning

Tia arched an amusing eyebrow in response to what I had stated about worrying constantly about work while also pursuing a further qualification. We were both thinking it —where was I getting the time for it? But she didn't pass on the suggestion of us making breakfast together, the idea involving Irena now too who had slid off me and was reaching for my hand.

Elyas wasn't going to waste a chance to take a breather to himself. So he let me know we'd talk soon, dragging Salma along with him, as he conversed with her about random things like the mantle piece, while he helped her navigate around, leaving Irena to blink up at me with such focus it threw me off. 

"You're beautiful." Irena enunciated perfectly. 

"Are you kidding me?" I groaned. "Who's been teaching you things like that?"

"Baba calls Mama it." My niece skipped alongside me as we entered the kitchen.

"Your mom really is stunning." Tia's eyes sparkled, as she leaned into the island.

"What does that mean?" Irena tapped her chin, watching me open the fridge.

"Just another word." I said warmly. "Another word for beautiful."

"I'm stunning then." Irena giggled, glancing at Tia.

"Yes, you are." We agreed in unison.

After promising Irena that we could bake a fancy red-velvet cake later on, we got to whipping up cinnamon french toast and blueberry pancakes. While I stood and leaned into the counter-top, armed with a wooden spoon and bowl, she inched higher, with her knees planted on the cushioned highchair.

Her excitement had Tia and I exchanging multiple glances, as we laid out plates and her parents finally joined. Salma had a pink tinge to her cheeks and when Elyas met her gaze, I almost wanted to gag at the suggestive look on his face. 

"There are children here." I muttered, referencing myself more than their daughter.

"Thanks for all of this." Elyas smiled playfully and took a seat by Irena.

"I love pancakes." Salma said gratefully, helping herself on the side.

"Me too!" Irena piped up, fork in the air.

We all burst into laughter in unison, even Tia who had taken a liking to my brother's family, their energy exuberant and contagious this early in the day. It was almost like everything was fine in life as we ate and drunk juice and coffee, focusing on one another's conversations and words.

There was a moment of silence, where the breakfast bar was filled with the sounds of slicing and cutting, sipping and pouring, but when I looked up past the steam billowing above my mug, it was to find Elyas's eyes narrowed in on me. 

"Where were you last night?" He questioned casually.

"At T's." I responded easily. "Is there a problem with that?"

"Not at all." Elyas said calmly. "You've grown up since I last saw you. You're allowed to do as you wish, even if it means you aren't going to confide in me anymore about where you go, although this towns become an even bigger disaster and cause for flight risk."

"Alright bhai." I frowned. "You're going to guilt trip me into telling you then? I was at a party of some sort, it was short-lived, Cops busted it up and we all skedaddled really. Nothing scary happened, I was with Tia. We know how to take care of ourself."

"Cops?" Irena prompted, tugging at her mother's wrist.

Salma hushed her with a small gesture, and Irena obliged.