Vedangi looked in the mirror, pressing the black bindi firmly on her forehead.  It was the first time she had worn a Kasavu saree and she badly anticipated Dev's reaction. The bottle green blouse complimented the white and gold well. Vedangi touched the necklace sitting on her collarbones. It was an antique temple jewelry style piece that Dev's mother had given to Vedangi. She had urged on not taking it but Ambili Padikkal insisted that it would look well with her Kasavu and it really did. In her hands were her mother's gold bangles. Vedangi vividly remembered her mother buying her those bangles after she had secured a top rank in her final year of LLB. A smile made its way to Vedangi's face before she received a call from Dhruv and rushed out.

Vedangi stood in the first row of seats spread out of the lush green backyard of Taj Allepey. The theme of the wedding was decided on 'forest element' at Chandni's insistence.
The seats had been draped in white cloth with a pastel green ribbon in the middle. Palm trees canopied around the mandap. The mandap had white lilies and gerberas woven around ornamental vines of the floral pillars. Chandni had chose a red saree to outshine everyone else though that was obvious for she was the bride. Chandni had always been bubbly, excited and slightly bossy. Her parents had pampered her being the only daughter until Dev came along. She still teased Dev saying 'he will never be Amma's first and favourite'.
Chandni walked into the mandap in a blazing red saree that highlighted her.
Aakash looked on adorably and stepped ahead to offer her a hand as she climbed up the steps to the mandap.
The joy on her face when Mangalyam played while they exchanged garlands was purer than honey itself. Her parents looked on with glossy eyes and smiles at the way she became ecstatic at this silly little song. She was their first and nothing would ever change that. She was truly the star of their eyes, their Chandni.

Dev stood spellbound at Vedangi's sight. She looked ravishing with the Kasavu draped elegantly around her form like a vision in white. The dark green color of her blouse complimented the wedding theme. She looked like a Lily herself.
Vedangi swept her shiny hair to the front unconsciously while she talked to one of Dev's cousin. He looked at the milky skin on her back peeking through the laces of her blouse.
She had taken his kink seriously.
He smiled to himself at a sensual thought crowding his mind.
His dream girl in a Kasavu and gajra, what else did a Mallu need?

During the photographs, Dev made it a point to stand besides Vedangi in the family photo. She had insisted on going out of the frame but Dev pulled her by her hand saying, "You know every detail of my house which probably even I don't know, that makes you family!"

A small reception was scheduled at eight in the evening. Right from four in the morning, Vedangi had been rushing everywhere like a manager. Her feet couldn't take it anymore and she settled down on the couch of her room. A small nap later, she dressed up in a purple saree that she had borrowed from her mother. Vedangi reminisced the moment her father had complimented her mother who had worn the same purple drape on the day of Karwa Chauth. She'd never find a love like that. Love where you grow old together.

The moment Vedangi entered the lavishly decorated hall, her eyes drifted to the right owing to cheering noises coming from the direction. Vedangi looked on to find Dev and three of his cousins gulping down shots rapidly while the others cheered. Vedangi was aware of the fact that he did drink at times, but never to the extent of passing out. She rolled her eyes and went to Chandni.

After the reception, Vedangi went to her room only to hear a loud knocking sound on her door. She hurriedly opened it to find Dev standing infront of her. He looked hurt and angry simultaneously. She had never seen this expression on him.
"What are you doing here?" Vedangi asked incredulously. Dev pushed her inside and shut the door with a loud bang that reverberated through the corridor.
Dev pinned her to the wall with his hands near her waist. Vedangi found it hard to digest the position they were in. Was he drunk?
"Stop whatever you're doing! You have ignored me relentlessly since the last two days! Stop it!" His voice was at it's peak vulnerable.
Vedangi couldn't meet his eyes and looked down to avoid responding.
"Look at me! I'm speaking to you!" Dev ordered. Vedangi resisted by trying to physically remove his arms but his grip was steel hard.
"What are you doing?! Let me go!" Vedangi spat out angrily.

"You looked so beautiful today, I couldn't take my eyes off you. You made me fall in love all over again." Dev said close to her ear and Vedangi felt a shiver run down her spine. What did he just say?
She couldn't believe her own ears.
Dev's speech was slightly slurry. She would be wrong if she said he was not drunk. He sounded drunk for God's sake!
Vedangi looked up into his eyes and the warmth in them was enough to weaken her resolve. Dev glared at her with burning intensity looking right into her soul. Vedangi couldn't meet his eyes with the way her cheeks blazed a fierce red. It was as if he undressed her with his eyes and God did it work.
"I should've said this long ago and I know it is late but please listen to me." Dev pleaded desperately.
"I love - love you." He stammered at her fixed gaze on him.
"When you're near I find it hard to breathe! You've consumed every atom of my existence and - " Dev looked at Vedangi's lips before cupping her cheek with his palm.
"And I've waited to do this for so long." Dev whispered and touched her lips with his. Vedangi was too stunned to respond immediately but gave in to the temptation. Their lips worked against each other fiercely as they poured in every emotion. Anger, jealousy, hurt and love. His hand made its way to her throat gripping it like he owned it.

Vedangi broke apart at the lack of oxygen. She looked at him apologetically well aware of the sin she was about to commit. A second later they were kissing again while his hands reached the back of her blouse, tugging at the strings.
"Are you sure?" Dev whispered ever so lightly. Vedangi nodded assertively and the blouse came undone in a second.

A sinful oblivion is a sin committed in seeming unconsciousness but with full awareness at the same time. It is irresistible and you know the consequences but you absolutely don't care about them because the moment is consuming you in it's flames.
The night was overwhelming to the brink of making her cry, wrapped in his arms under the sheets.

You have to pay for every sin of yours and Vedangi was going to have to pay for it.

~

हमको मिली है आज ये घडीया नसीब से, जी भर के देख लिजिये हमको करीब से