God Complex

Artemis didn't remember the last 24 hours of her life. She woke up on the couch in her room, covered in the smell of moonshine. Throwing herself off the couch, she walked over to the door, walking out and making her way outside, she spotted a crowd around the bodies of the people who had died. 

"I know it took courage, to be outside with us today." Jaha began to speak, and Artemis rolled her eyes, the diplomacy in his voice made her cringe, "To stand together now in the face of grave danger and grave tragedy." He continued, "On the Ark, rain like this was only a dream, now it's a nightmare because we know it could turn on us at any second, and kill us, just like it did to 18 of our brothers and sisters, who we honor today, among them, Erin, Samuel, and Louis. May we meet again." 

"May we meet again." They all repeated, and Artemis spotted Jasper slipping away from the funeral, she picked up her feet and followed over to him, "Where are you going?" She smiled, hoping he wouldn't make her stay. 

He swung his arm around her waist, "Where do you wanna go, my love?" They passed Bellamy, and Jasper slz

lightly waved. 

"Can't you two have some respect for the dead?" Bellamy quipped at them. Jasper turned around as he spoke, "Why? They don't mind." 

"And where are you going?"

"Wherever the day takes us." Jasper complied, turning to him, walking backwards. 

"You got a chem tent?"

"Nope."

"Hey!" Bellamy walked up to them, "No one leaves without a chem tent."

"Do you have a chem tent, Art?" He looked at Artemis, and she felt around in her oversized guard jacket, pulling out a plastic wrapped chem tent, "Yeah." She replied.  "See, Artemis has a chem tent."  

Bellamy ran up and grabbed Artemis' arm, "Maybe you didn't see how those people died." He gestured to the 21 bodies 20 feet away, "Oh no, i did, i'm just not afraid to end up like that. I can make my own decisions." She ripped herself from his grip and continued walking to the gate, where Jasper stood, their shoes sinking into the mud. 

"It's not safe out there." Bellamy tried again, "What else is new?" Jasper opened the gate, and turned to Bellamy, "Come on, we're losing daylight." 

"Jasper." 

Jasper started walking towards Artemis, who had already walked out the gate, "Jasper! Damn it. Hey!" Bellamy ran up to them, "Grow the hell up." 

"Good, you're coming." Jasper smiled, being pleased with himself. "Yeah, but only because i don't wanna carry your body bags."

"Oh, come on. I'm pretty light. I mean, i'm wiry, but i'm light. And Artemis may have meat on her body, but i've carried her before, it's not that bad."

"Hey!" Artemis turned around and lightly punched Jasper's arm. "Sorry." He rubbed his arm. 

The three of them continued walking, Bellamy mainly just watched as the two of them talked and joked around with each other. He had never noticed how happy Jasper made Artemis. How kind he was to her, and how much she adored him. He never knew that they were truly in love. Bellamy always knew that they were dating, but he only thought it was puppy love. 

As he watched the two of them walk in front of him, talking about one of Artemis' patients, he realized that they had a mature love, one that could never be broken, one that would live on forever. 

---

The three of them walked through the forest all day, and the only one complaining was Bellamy. Artemis didn't understand why he had to come. She just wanted to spend time with Jasper outside of Arkadia. She was in those walls for too long, and she needed a sense of nature. 

"I know its bad, and everything is dying, and all, but i'm just gonna say it-- i don't miss mosquitoes. Don't miss em."

"This is all a big joke to you isn't it?" Bellamy spoke from behind them, "Jasper turned his head to face him, "Now you're getting it. That's pretty much what it is. A big cosmic joke. Everything, but my relationship, of course. And you'd realize that if you pulled the stick out your ass--"  

Bellamy grabbed Jasper, "That's enough. That is enough."

"Yo!" Artemis ripped Bellamy's hand off of Jasper, and they stood there silently for a moment, "Look, I'm just trying to help you." Jasper spoke to Bellamy, "OOh you're trying to help  me? That's funny. It's late. We're leaving. Now." Bellamy turned and began walking towards Arkadia. 

"Damn it. Open your eyes." Jasper called to him, and Bellamy turned around, "The clock is ticking and it has been since we landed on this terrible.. beautiful planet." 

"What the hell does that mean?" 

"It means that we're living on borrowed time, all of us."

"So if you know that," Bellamy began walking towards them, "Why are you throwing it away?" 

Jasper scoffed, "I'm not," He put his finger on Bellamy's chest, "You are." Jasper talked with his hands, like he had always done, "What is the point in beating yourself up over all the-- the crappy things you've done? You did them! And-- And don't say you had reasons, because at the end of the day-- at the end of the world, no one gives a damn about your reasons because they are your reasons. No matter how much you punish yourself, it's not gonna change anything. It's not gonna bring anyone back." Jasper looked up at the trees, "The way i see it is, we can spend our last days wallowing in our reasons, or we can do-- we can do whatever the hell we want. And really mean it this time." 

Artemis sighed, "That was theatrical. You two are absolutely ridiculous."

Jasper shined the flash light on a three stump, "Magic beans." He looked at Artemis, "Remember those?"

"Wait, i thought you invited me to hang out with you, not get hallucinogenic nuts." Artemis crossed her arms, "I did, but i also happened to come across this a few months ago, and now, we're harvesting." He plucked the nuts from the tree stump, and placed them in one of Artemis' medical bags. 

Once Jasper collected his nuts, he crouched slightly in front of Artemis, and she knew what to do, she jumped onto his back, loosely wrapping her arms around his neck. They began walking back to camp, and once they made it about half way, Artemis jumped off his back, and walked the rest of the way.

Bellamy had walked off after they made it through the gates, and Jasper and Artemis went to their living quarters. Jasper ate two of the nuts, then crawled into bed next to Artemis. 

"The radiation will be here in ten days and we have absolutely no way to save our people. There are people here that deserve to live. Children for Christ sake." 

Jasper listened carefully as she spoke, wrapping his arm around her waist and placing his other arm under her pillow, "It'll be okay, doll face. Everything happens the way it happens for a reason."

Artemis knew the nuts hit him, he was drowsy and slow, but she didn't mind. She held onto that comfortable moment for as long as possible, but as she fell asleep, she let it go, knowing there was more to come. 

There was people partying in the mess hall, the music and whoops surrounded the Ark, and as tempting as it was to go party with the others, Jasper  laid there in his bed with his amazing girlfriend, holding onto her.