Cup 23: Wisteria the Water Mage

Start from the beginning

Ryu waited for more, but she seemed tight-lipped. "Um, I'm Ryu Hirano. I brew coffee and I like money. That's about it."

Wisteria exhaled sharply through her nose. "Short and to the point, I like that."

"So, why adventuring? It seems like both your brother and your father are skilled at brewing. Wouldn't that be a better profession for a noble?"

"My mother was an adventurer, so I guess you could say I take after her," she replied, shrugging her shoulders. "Speaking of which, didn't you say you wanted to be a water mage?"

"That's right," Ryu said, nodding.

"I assumed you only had water skills, but fire too?"

"Is that unusual?"

"Very," Wisteria remarked. "Normally, most adventurers receive skills of one attribute. I've only seen a few with two and none with more than three. It must have to do with the fact that you spend time with that Dark Elf. You're learning their magic, right?"

Ryu nodded again.

"That explains it then. While it's not impossible for individuals of a specific race to learn spells from other races, we have a natural tendency towards certain types of skills. Humans, for example, have a greater affinity for water, ice, and vapor spells. Dark Elves are prone to fire spells, Dwarves to stone and earth, Faeries to light and dark, and so forth" she explained.

"Do some species overlap in affinities?"

"Yep, mermaids share an affinity for water just like us, though theirs is much greater."

Ryu grew intrigued. He wanted to learn about all of the other races residing in Cerulia. He wondered what each would be like, though he had to remind himself to temper his expectations. Not all of them would likely be friendly.

"There are also Beastkin—" Wisteria paused, as Ryu's eyes bulged. "Nevermind, you have a creepy look on your face."

"You have to tell me!" he said, clutching her collar and shaking her. "Do catgirls exist?! Where can I find them?! And can I hire them to be maids?!"

"I would be putting them in jeopardy if I told the likes of you!"

Ryu let go of her, sinking to the floor. "You wouldn't understand my dreams—the dreams of all men."

"Your dreams sound pretty debaucherous," Wisteria shuddered. She cleared her throat, trying to change the subject. "I assume your party is here with you? Is the little black cat here as well?"

"Yeah, Aurora's exploring the place right now."

"Oh, I see!" Wisteria beamed.

"She told me you played with her the other day, I appreciate it," Ryu smiled.

Wisteria's face reddened. "I-it was no problem, I didn't have much to do that day."

"I could tell," Ryu chuckled. "You didn't leave the café the entire day."

"T-that's because I was waiting for someone! A friend!" Wisteria stammered.

"Really? Who?" Ryu asked with a sly grin.

Before she could answer, an explosion shook the manor.

"What was that?!" Ryu clamored.

Wisteria clutched her staff tightly, wearing a serious expression. "At this hour? I'm not sure, but we better check it out."

They ran outside the manor, towards the source of the commotion. They crossed the field, reaching the archery range, where a certain Dark Elf and the Hero of Cerulia were engaged in combat.

"I've had enough of you!" Sylfie shouted, drawing back a mesmerizing bow. The wood was lacquered and polished, sporting a pattern like a blade of Damascus. It thrummed to life, gathering an immense amount of energy as Sylfie aimed her shot, her silver hair flying back from the pressure.

"Sylfie, dearest, you're making a mistake! I only came to check up on you!" Agrius stated, holding a shield of lightning in front of him.

"Ryu! Sylfie's gonna kill the Great Hero, nya!" Aurora ran up to them in a panic.

"That's not good!" Ryu turned to Wisteria. "We have to—" He stopped, staring at the mage as she devolved into a jumble of baby talk, cooing at Aurora and pinching her cheeks.

"Hey, you have a problem, you know," he deadpanned.

"Like you're one to speak!" the mage huffed, collecting herself. "I've got this handled. Just watch and learn." She stepped forward brimming with energy as a blue aura enveloped her.

The fighters caught a glimpse of blue light in their peripheral visions, turning to see what was causing it. They flailed their arms wildly.

Agrius started to speak. "Wait! Wisteria, it's me! I'm helping—"

"[Flash Freeze]!"