Kabanata 30

Kabanata 30...
Dinner

It's surreal... and weird.

I got shot in the leg the last time I was here at our house. It terribly traumatized me, and now I'm back here. "Living the life."

I glance at the rear-view mirror one last time before starting the car's engine.

Wearing an off-shoulder emerald greed dress, paired with a cream kitten heel as well as blazer, I drove to mommy's building, bubbling with anticipation to meet everyone that I needed to meet today.

Jyair didn't want me to face this alone, but I argued that I had to do it on my own or else I wouldn't learn. Besides, he has his own business he needs attending.

Nasasanay ako masyado sa mga pa-baby nila sa'kin. Minsan tuloy ay feeling ko balik teenager ako.

I caught the lobby clerk's wide eyes as she fixates herself before finally greeting me.

"G-Good morning, ma'am!"

"Good morning," I nod.

As I'm walking towards the elevator, hindi nakatakas sa'kin ang ilang bulungan na natitiyak kong tungkol sa'kin.

I'll make a point of introducing myself to everyone later. Now, I still have a meeting to attend to... which I'm actually an hour early but fuck it. It's my first day. I have to get ready.

"Miss Marjorie?"

Kalalabas ko pa lamang ng elevator nang may pumukaw ng atensyon ko na agad kong nakilala.

"I'm Bless, I was your mother's secretary, as well as your aunt's. I was asked by Ma'am Mariette to prepare you the main office once you come back." She gestures the way. "Do you mind?"

I gave her a faint smile and nodded for her to lead the way towards what appeared to be my office.

Isa pa pala si Tita, hindi ko pa s'ya natatawagan.

"Wala pa po ang mga sofa. Ipinadadala ko na sa maintenance, baka po mamaya'y narito na rin 'yon. The desk and chair were just brought last, last month, pero kung gusto n'yo po ng bago ay p'wede ko naman pong ibilin."

Ipinalibot ko ang tingin at nagtagal iyon sa walang lamang desk.

I brush my fingers through it before swiveling the chair so I can sit.

"This is fine."

"You look so much like your mother, ma'am..."

Napaangat ang tingin ko kay Bless. Hindi alam ang sasabihin, pero hindi napigilang mapangiti.

"Sorry, ma'am. Naalala ko lang po s'ya sa inyo," Naitikom n'ya ang kan'yang bibig at inilagay pa ang palad doon. "Pero..."

"No, it's okay. That's a compliment. My mother was beautiful," I smiled. "Thank you."

It didn't take her long to tell me everything I needed to know regarding the company's current standings. T Though I know she only is aware of a portion of it, that's why after she left my office, I proceeded to call Tita Mariette.

"You should know that I'm not happy with you, and most certainly your uncle, Marjorie."

Napapikit na lamang ako.

"I know, Tita. I'm sorry," I sigh. "It took me so long, but I'm willing to make up for it."

"Just..." I heard her loud exhale from the other line and a needle pierced my heart. "Be competent while you're at it, and I guess magpasikat ka sa Tito mo. 'Wag mo na lang dibdibin masyado kung masabihan ka ng kung ano-ano."