Chapter Fifteen - Past

"Did.." Her words were soft and lacking confidence or previously held venom. "Did they tell you about me?" She sounded like a child, a lost one. Scared, almost.

"About you? Uh, U.A or the League?"

"The League. About my past. Why I hate heroes?"

"No..."

"I guess the trouble started 19 years ago, when I was born." She chuckled, although there was no humor to it. "But it wouldn't seem so bad until high school... or maybe it all went to shit when I was six.."

- - - - -

"Ma'am, sir, your daughter is perfectly healthy. She has a quirk, and it's already manifested. See this little joint here? This shows us that there is a quirk present, although it cannot tell us what it is." The doctor said. He flipped through a clipboard as he spoke. A four year old Toga was busy staring at the floor and kicking her feet as she sat on the edge of the room's examination table.

"Then is there a reason why we haven't seen any evidence of a quirk?" Her father, a man of average height and equally average IQ, asked.

"A lot of quirks need time to develop further, or only come out in certain circumstances. There might be a requirement necessary to fulfill before it activates. A lot of people are like that." He added the last part reassuringly, though Toga's parents still exchanged a worried glance.

"Are you going to become a hero when your quirk shows up?" The doctor asked Toga, who didn't bother responding. The doctor curiously looked at the girl's parents, observing the annoyed look from her father.

"Oh sorry, she's always like this." Her mother apologized, furrowing her brow at her daughter.

- - - - -

It was her sixth birthday when she first discovered the beginnings of her quirk. She had a party, but didn't like the attention from the older guests her parents invited. A lot of the other children her age saw her as strange, so she had no reason to talk to them either. No use trying to convince a bully not to be mean, she reasoned.

So, she slipped out her parent's house and went off to play by herself. Wandering to the edge of the property, she came upon a forest. She'd never been allowed to go back there, but today seemed like a good chance to try. She was older after all!

After looking around for something fun, she found a sturdy tree, though almost all trees were sturdy to six year olds, and began climbing up it. She saw a bird's nest when she was several feet off the ground, and admired it carefully. Suddenly, a large bird swooped in, guarding the eggs with vigor. It cawed at Toga, startling the girl and sending her sprawling backwards off the tree.

She landed on her back with a solid thump, yet no one came to check on her. She doubted they heard, or cared. The palm of her right hand stung, and lifting it revealing a cut that a rock had left on it. It wasn't bleeding bad, a light trickle at best. She probably wouldn't even need a bandage. She stared at the cut for a moment, observing it in the light. To any bystander, this looked like a six year examining a cut before going to show her parents, but it was something else entirely to Toga.

She watched it with interest, fascinated with the way the red streaked down her wrist and began traveling down her forearm. It slowed down substantially, more into a crawl than a trickle, due to the wound clotting. She furrowed her brow and got back up, still having been on the ground. She was looking for a rock now, one similar to the one that'd cut her.

Finding it, she sat down beneath the tree, out of the sight of anyone not minding their own business. She flipped it around in her left hand, the one without the cut. Turning her right palm to the ground, she traced the rock across the back of that hand. Once her course of action was decided, she acted on it. Pressing the sharpest edge of the rock down, she traced a line on the back of her hand, drawing a thin layer of blood as she did.