Cup 21: Beat the Heat With an Ice Cold Brew!

Start from the beginning

Making coffee was the cherry on top. He pushed back the bitter memories of his first Brew Battle, wincing slightly as Don Puccino's scrambled eggs came to mind.

He hoped this next match would go better than the first. With Mathias' temperament, however, that might have been wishful thinking. Still, Ryu decided to have a positive outlook on things. They were amidst a sea of witnesses; the Brew Battle was taking place in the center of the city's downtown area.

People from all corners and districts came to watch as the match unfolded. It was not every day that two Coffee Brewers went head to head. Even more peculiar, a noble had accepted a challenge from a lowlander.

Ryu was counting on these onlookers to verify the outcome. He looked around; Mathias didn't seem to have any goons in the crowd to hassle him, though he made sure to stay vigilant just in case.

The three individuals that had been picked to sit at the judges' table weren't Ryu's first choice when it came to tasters, but he couldn't complain, given that [Truth] had been cast on all parties involved.

Agrius had made a return, grumbling indignantly as Sir Reginald Huxley sat in-between him and Sylfie.

"Break a leg!" Sylfie cheered.

"Free food!" Aurora chimed.

Agrius simply glared at Ryu, brooding.

He's casting a curse on me. I can feel it in my bones. Ryu shuddered. He made a mental note to see a specialist about warding off evil eyes.

Sir Maxwell cleared his throat, adjusting his tie before he spoke into the microphone he was carrying.

"Gentlemen, your goal for this Brew Battle is to create a chilled beverage that incorporates coffee. You may use your skills, the ingredients placed at your stations, and the tools provided to you to create a drink that meets this criteria. The judges will be evaluating you for flavor, texture, aromatics, presentation, and most important on a blistering day such as today—its temperature. Are there any questions?"

The competitors shook their heads.

"Then without further ado, you have ten minutes to complete your brew! Begin!"

Ryu analyzed his workstation. He had been given a simple pour-over kit with pre-prepared grounds, a bottle of Taurus Milk, sugar, and a pitcher of water.

He started on the pour-over. As he reached for the grounds, he paused, perturbed by what he saw. The grounds were red. He cast [Insight] hoping to glean more information.

[Coffee Grounds Scanned]

[Bean Type: Pyre]

[Region: Delfos]

[Properties: High Heat Index]

[Additional Information: This particular bean is grown exclusively in Delfos, owing to its Mediterranean climate and nutrient-rich soil. When removed from this soil, a defensive mechanism is activated in which the bean becomes harmful for consumption, raising its heat index]

[Countermeasures: Use of the Everfrost Stone, Ice Magic, or simply infusing the grounds with nutrients from Delfos soil will counteract the heat given off by the bean's defense mechanism]

Ryu frowned; there was no ice for him to use, and he didn't have any freezing skills yet. He looked at the pitcher of water sitting at his station. He checked its temperature, growing frustrated; it was lukewarm. That conniving—

He glanced over to Mathias' station; the young lord grinned back at him deviously. His hand was placed over his pitcher, casting a freezing spell to cool the water rapidly and turn it into ice.

"What's the matter? Can't seem to cool down?" he jeered. "Don't worry, I've got just the refreshment for you! I do hope you're able to finish your drink in time! It would be such a shame if you weren't able to finish because you lacked a basic skill!"

Ryu clenched his jaw as Mathias continued to laugh and poke fun at him. There was nothing he could do but push forward. The Taurus Milk was cold, but once he combined it with the finished pour-over, it sizzled, curdling instantly.

Sh*t! What now?

Ryu's mind raced as he searched for a solution. Mathias had finished his brew in record time, setting his iced coffees in front of the judges, who gratefully sipped their drinks to get a little respite from the heat.

Was there really nothing he could do? He scrolled through his skills, growing anxious as the seconds ticked by.

He stopped scrolling, sighing. Iced coffee was out of the question. He had to find another way. Ryu went over the countermeasures again. His eyes grew wide, an idea forming in his mind. Maybe this will work!

He snapped into action, glancing at the time in-between steps. He had no idea if his plan would come to fruition in the way he hoped, but the clock wouldn't stop. He had to produce something.

He threw the grounds straight into the pitcher itself, much to the surprise of the judges.

Mathias raised an eyebrow.

"What's he doing?" Agrius remarked, intrigued. Sylfie and Aurora shared his curiosity, though Sir Reginald watched Ryu patiently, smiling as he worked.

Ryu proceeded to place a hand over the pitcher, muttering to himself. He strained the concoction and cast another incantation. He grinned nervously, adding specific amounts of sugar to each judge's cup. Pouring the Taurus Milk last, he gave the brews one last mix, presenting them to the judges just as the timer buzzed.

"Time's up! Mr. Hirano, please step away from your drinks. The judges will now evaluate them," Sir Maxwell announced.

Ryu clicked his tongue; he had spilled some coffee over the clear glass cups in his haste.

"Mr. Hirano, I'm curious, what have you made for us today?" Sir Reginald asked him.

Ryu could tell he already knew the answer. "A cold brew, sir."

"H-how?!" Mathias gasped. "That takes twelve hours to prepare! There's no way you were able to make a proper cold brew in ten minutes!"

Ryu smiled; an air of effortlessness surrounded him. "Oh, I did. And with the same skills you considered below basic. Let's hear the results, then I'll let you in on how I managed to beat you, even with all your tricks."

Mathias attempted a rebuttal, but was silenced by a hand from his father.

"Let's make this interesting shall we?" Sir Reginald winked.

What's this old man up to? Ryu wondered.

Sir Reginald held a hand over his fellow judges' heads. "[Restrict: Emotions and Impulse]," he said.

He cast the same spell on himself. "Now, we drink."

The three judges placed Ryu's cold brew to their lips, taking a single sip before they set their glasses down.

Sir Reginald's piercing gaze sent chills down Ryu's spine. It was like he was a different person altogether.

"Time for the verdict."