Chapter 24: Forgetting Her To Know You

A/N: The song in the background is what was played as I wrote this. I recommend listening to it for the entirety of the chapter, hitting replay when necessary. I hope that you all enjoy. God bless you, dear readers. <3

Ring! Ring!

Alexander sighed. The phone had been on an endless ring for the past two or three minutes. When he had first picked his company's service provider, he wanted the option of a continuous ring to keep hopeful clients on the line to maximize his reach, but now it worked against him.

Tapping his finger against the dark wooden nightstand, he focused on his breathing. Vincent hadn't answered him yet. The ringing had remained on an endless loop as if to test his patience, but he was grateful because there were many words that he lacked.

He knew he needed to call him, but he had little idea of how to word the pictures in his mind. The image of freedom, but a different kind of freedom. He felt that he had a purpose that deeply contradicted his constant climbing of the business ladder. A duty with his name written on it.

His desire for his original goals within the AMI company was steadily dwindling as the days went on.

He shook his head. He needed to find the words before Vincent answered. The last thing he needed was to cause confusion or concern for his cousin. Vincent had taken on the role of a big brother, one who seemed willing to give up his own free time- possibly even his life, to ensure the safety of those he loved.

While raking a hand through his hair, Alexander thought long and hard about what to say or rather how to say it.

It was hard to keep up with the incessant thoughts prancing around in his mind. He would occasionally glance at the unnecessarily large mirror toward the front of his room. The phone rang and rang, causing his mind to drift.

"Why did I buy that mirror?" He thought to himself.

The mirror itself was large in stature and the outline of it wasn't black nor the common silver and gold as seen in most homes. It was a deep brass tone, nearing dark gold but warm in appearance. As if his room didn't feel empty enough, it seemed to expand its size with the help of creating a vast illusion of its depth.

Alexander was beginning to loathe his living arrangement. It didn't sit well with him. What was the point of such a large house without having many more to share it with? It felt like a literal waste of space. It was extravagant to many of its admirers, but there wasn't much Alexander could do with the space that he had.

He had been suggested to host a gala or two in his time in the business world, but even he couldn't uphold a facade long enough to pretend he enjoyed the event. And unlike before, he recognized now that lying was a sin even in its 'whitest' forms. There was no such thing as a white lie according to the Lord. All lies were filthy and unbecoming of the one doing it.

Ring! Ring! The phone continued, pulling him back to where he was and what he was doing. With a sigh of defeat, he realized his only answer was reaching out to Vincent's personal phone. He almost didn't want to disturb him. He had taken over the business well, but Alexander understood just how unfair that would be.

Vincent's phone had been busy since he took up Alexander's responsibilities. The main office phone was busier as most people didn't have the direct extension to reach Alexander straight away.

Alexander glanced toward his window pane. The gray cast of the sky didn't make him feel as lonely as they had in the past. Instead, there was a deep desire to soar past those clouds, to return to the place in his first dream where he met the Lord. Just to speak, just to ask questions in that place that had become their secret.