Chapter 21: What She Knows

Alexander brushed his hand through his wet hair as he examined his clothing in the mirror. They were crisp and clean. Not a single loose thread in sight. The monotonous shades of black, gray, and white crowded his closet, but on days like today, he wore a deep blue instead.

Greta had been kind enough to organize and iron all of his clothing for the next two weeks before they cycled through the wash again. His button-up was felt starchy to the touch and even his tie held the calming smell of their laundry detergent.

Taking a few moments to smooth through his conditioner, the same one he had been using for years, he tried to settle his mind. Time seemed to go on infinitely as his eyes continued to drift back to the clock.

It was already 4:35 p.m. and Arielle had sent him the details of the dinner shortly after they ran into each other. It began at 5:00 p.m., but Alexander had thought to wait until Devin's arrival before departing his estate. Yet every time he checked his phone, no new notifications were alerting him of his friend's arrival.

Naturally, in the past, this would have caused him to feel frustrated. His time was valuable, he didn't become a successful CEO by accepting lateness, but this was different. Devin had been more than a friend. He viewed him as a brother and his pain was Alexander's pain as well.

It came as a shock to Alexander to realize that his close friend, who had been a wild bachelor most of his life, had fallen in love. It wasn't the idea of Devin falling in love that was horrible, but the many factors that created his red flag paradise. It was a hopeless romantic's nightmare.

Devin had pursued a mystery woman with all of his heart. One that neither of them had ever heard of before, which was alarming if she had been a part of their world of wealth. All the families at least knew of the others if there hadn't already been a formal meeting.

Yet this woman seemed to materialize out of nothing and within a few short days, she had him attached to her hip. He poured time, money, and extravagant trips on a woman he had just met, but hoped to marry, but she soon ran off to be with his older and richer friend. He found them together on his yacht after she had accidentally texted him instead of the other man.

Yet to Alexander, what seemed worse was the lack of remorse that Devin described. It had thrown him into a deep depression. Lasting weeks thus far. Alexander knew who could help him, but he didn't know how to tell him that.

The night of their call, Alexander had fully repented. Every selfish choice, every cruel remark, every sin that God brought to his remembrance poured out of him and the tears to match fell as a waterfall.

It was as if something new had bloomed within him. He could feel the sudden shift.

He wanted to share that with Devin, but he didn't know how to word it or when to say it, but he knew that he could pray and ask. He had so many questions and his godmother was much too far and too busy to reach at a moment's notice.

Devin would be there soon, temporarily staying in his estate since everything in his own home reminded him of the woman who betrayed him. Soon, when it was sold and gone, he would move back out, but for now, Alexander was grateful that he could be there for him.

Knock knock. He heard. His eyes shot over to the door briefly.

"Come in!" He yelled, half expecting Greta to peek her head in, but he was surprised to see Devin instead.

"Hey, man. You already arrived?" He asked, his shock apparent. He had thought that Devin was taking longer on his journey, not realizing that his friend had been there already. Greta surely hadn't notified him and Richard had the night off, so he wouldn't have known to do so.