Forgiveness

(Ep 5 - Dig Dug)                                                                                                                                    Saturday, November 3rd, 1984                                                                                                      Steve's POV

I was pacing around the kitchen, speaking to myself when Caytlinn walked in on me. I stopped in my tracks and stared at her. She was half awake, and yawning. She leaned against the door frame and rubbed her eyes.

"What are you doing?" she mumbled.

"I'm gonna go apologize to Nancy. But I don't know what to say," I reluctantly answered.

"Do you know how to apologize to a girl? Correctly?" Caytlinn asked.

"So..." I asked, crossing my arms.

"Have you ever apologized to a girl?" Caytlinn asked, crossing her arms also.

"No..." I slowly muttered.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes,"

Caytlinn pulled me to the kitchen table and sat me down. I had no idea what she was going to say or do, but I just listened to her. She seemed like she knew what she was doing.

"Okay. So, first, tell me what you were going to do?"

"I was going to get some flowers and then say sorry,"

"Okay. Yes on the flowers but no on the sorry. You're going to need to say more than that. You are going to forgive Nancy for everything that you said after basketball,"

"For everything that I said!" I shot back, offended.

Caytlinn raised her eyebrows and leaned forward. She looked at me, and then at the table, before looking up.

"Yes. Everything. That's how you forgive her,"

"Okay... so I forgive her with the apology and the flowers, and then we date again,"

"I'll help you in the car when we go get the flowers," Caytlinn stated, getting up.

I stumbled after her upstairs to change, and we both met downstairs. I had put on a pair of jeans and my gray bomber jacket because I knew that Nancy liked the jacket. I grabbed my keys, and we both got in my car. I turned on the radio and drove into town. Caytlinn brought her backpack, and I put it in the trunk next to the nailed-through bat. I always kept the bat in close range, just in case of another attack.

I pulled up to the flower shop and ran inside. I chose the prettiest red roses in the store and paid for them. I hurried back out with a bouquet of roses and shoved them into Caytlinn's hands.

"Okay. What are you going to say to Nancy?"

"That, I'm sorry. I love her. That I always have and never wanted to break up with her," I answered.

"No!" Caytlinn snapped, slamming her hands on the dashboard.

"What? But that's what you said to say!" I shot back.

"You're not the one sorry! She broke up with you, but you want to get back together. She's the one sorry. You will forgive her for being drunk and saying all those things. You are going to forgive her for what you said!"

I turned onto Nancy's street, and slowly down on the gas. I started to regret what I was about to do, but I turned to Caytlinn.

"So I'm sorry, but not sorry...?"