Dustin's New Pet

(Ep 3 - The Pollwog)                                                                                                                              Thursday, November 1, 1984                                                                                                    Caytlinn's POV

I sat on the floor, in front of my locker. I had my head resting on my hand, while I was reading a book. Steve didn't pick me up when he said he would from the party, so I walked home instead yesterday and my legs ached. I didn't feel like standing or moving, but later in the day, I would have to.

"Hey, Cay. I wanted to ask you something," Max asked, sliding down next to me.

"Yeah, sure what?" I replied, putting my book down.

"Why do they call Will, Zombie Boy? I mean, Lucas tried explaining this fake story to me, but I don't believe it. He then said I could ask anyone, so I wanted to ask you. Since you, we're friends,"

"Will. Well, he got lost in the woods for about a week. And then we had a funeral because someone found a decomposed body in the quarry. We all thought it was Will, and then he reappeared. He was at the edge of death when they found him and then he came back to life," I explained, remembering that horrific week.

"That's exactly what Lucas said,"

"Public news. It's all the same. Nothing else happened," I lied. "It's going to be the same. It's Hawkins,"

"That just doesn't seem believable,"

"It is. Trust me. If it was any different, no one would believe it,"

After my first few classes, I entered Mr. Clarke's room and noticed that Dustin wasn't with everyone else. I took my seat in the back next to Max, and Mr. Clarke turned the lights out and began his lecture.

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time. Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven through his head. Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality. So much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as 'No longer Gage'. At the time this was known as the America Crowbar Case. Although..."

The door swung open and slammed into the wall. Dustin walked in panting. He marched to his desk and looked at Mr. Clarke.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Clarke. Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class. Don't mind me. Really, continue, please. Thanks," Dustin panted as he sat down.

"Does he always make a scene like that?" Max asked, leaning towards me.

"Yep. Actually, he does,"

"Although it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod. As I said," Mr. Clarke continued.

Dustin leaned in close with the other boys, and bit my lip. He was telling them something, and then he turned around to face us.

"AV Club. Lunch," he whispered.

"What is he saying?" Max asked.

"AV Club. It's where we meet," I answered.

"Dustin!" Mr. Clarke scolded.

"Yes, my lord?"

"Would you care to join the class now?"

"Please, yes,"

"The case of Phineas Gage,"

"Phineas Gage," Dustin repeated.

"Page 104,"