Ch.1:: When he first met... HER

Lou's Pov
Pretty makes perfect...

You could swear that it was the only rule that existed in the Institute of Perfection. Well, perfection was the only thing that the Institute was built on and I had to maintain it.

It was sickening. Watching all of those imperfections walking through the portal to the Big World. I hated it.

None of them even came close to being perfect as me. I always muttered under my breath:

My time will come, I just know it.

But it never did. I was a prisoner and of course every one of them looked up to me. I had to set an example... but at what cost?

If I couldn't go to the Big World, why could they? They were useless imperfections and yet... they were rewarded with all the perks of the Big World.

A home...

A kid...

Acceptance...

Love...

But what about me? I wanted all of those! I wanted to be loved! I wanted a place I could call home... I hated being trapped forever in the Institute!

"Um, Lou? We have um... a bit of a problem outside." A blue haired doll peeked through the door of my office.

I looked up from my desk. "What is it Tuesday?"

She entered looking uneasy. "Uh... I suggest that you come and see for yourself."

"Wait for me outside." I replied. Tuesday was about to walk out. "And Tuesday?"

"Yes?" She stopped.

"Knock next time."

She looked at the floor, ashamed. "I... I understand."

She wasn't truly perfect... none of them were... she was just, exceptional. I managed to recruit three dolls who were... how do I put this? Almost perfect. Kitty, Lydia and obviously Tuesday... The Spy Girls.

I organised my paperwork and went outside to find everydoll crowded around something. Tuesday was in the crowd, she disobeyed my instruction.

I sighed and turned to Kitty, who was looking at the crowd in disbelief. It was obvious that she must've saw whatever the crowd was covering.

"So, what is it?" I asked.

She was silent for a while before speaking. "Trash walking on legs."

I rose my eyebrow. "Should I know what that means?"

Kitty shook her head. "Heh, just go see for yourself."

I sighed, frustrated. "Kitty, I have no time for games. I have work I need to attend to. Documents to sign. Dolls to register."

"I get it Mr Administrator. You wanna know what is down there? Fine, it's pure ugliness. It's like nothing we've ever seen."

"Pure ugliness?" I questioned and walked down the stairs. Whatever it was, it must've been big. As I got closer, the dolls' murmurs became loud and clear:

"What are they?"

"Are they even dolls?"

"Oh my doll! I've never seen anything like it!"

"Is that supposed to be a dog or something?"

"Why are they furry?"

"Why are their legs so short?"

"That one has wings for hands!"

And as if they knew I was coming. They kept quiet and let me through. Then I saw... them. My eyes widened and I tried to look for a familiar face. He wasn't there.

I cleared my throat and smirked. I didn't have any other ways to react to this situation. Besides screaming my lungs out and shaking in fear.

Not fear of them... but fear that he might be alive. The uglydolls looked at me.

I spoke. "My, my, what do we have here? New guests?"

"Lou, they are... unusual." Lydia whispered to me.

"They sure are... are they Lydia? But what kind of benevolent leader would I be if I didn't let them stay for a bit?"

The crowd gasped. I have had enough of drama, I just needed some peace and quiet and these uglydolls were the least of my problems.

"Mandy, show our special guests where they would be staying. The Supply Suite would be best." I said and walked away.

I would have to get rid of them later.

I was stopped by the pinkish red one. "Mr Lou! Mr Lou!"

I stopped and pulled off the most fake smile ever. "Yes?"

"Hi, I'm Moxy and I just wanted to thank you. My friends and I are very grateful."

"Um, sure and just call me Lou, Mr Lou is just too formal."

"Okay, Lou. Thank you so much. Finally, we have a chance to go to the Big World!"

This was my chance to crush her dreams. "Actually..."

I stopped mid sentence. I looked at her, hope filled her eyes. She was kinda cute... oh my doll, what was I thinking? Maybe I... wasn't going to get rid of them, yet.

I snapped from my thoughts. "Nevermind, welcome to the Institute!"

She shook off the confused look on her face and smiled. Then she ran back to her friends.