Chapter 34 - A new beginning, for Shinra

There is an alarm blaring from somewhere on the helicopter dashboard and the commotion from the people around you forces you to open your weary eyes. You must have only been out for a few minutes but you feel the helicopter lurch as Reno and Rude do a complete U-turn.

Your eyes follow Rufus beside you as you watch him put on a white trench coat with light blue lapels and belts draping down from his waist to hand loosely down his white trousers. Only someone with his airs and graces would be able to pull off an outfit like that, you think to yourself. His tall height and lean build helps too... you find your subconscious unexpectedly marvelling as you watch Rufus prepare for something. You quickly brush these thoughts aside as you try and catch his attention with a questioning look as he purposefully puts on open fingered black leather gloves. Rufus casually notices your intense gaze on him.

"We will get you the medical attention you need as soon as I've dealt with them. I know they were your friends but it's got to be done. They have to be brought in. It would be a good start to my Presidency. This can effectively put the fear in the common people and that's how I will control the world." He checks his specially made shotgun nonchalantly as he speaks.

"Are you sure you want to do this personally, Boss?" Reno asks from the front.

Rufus merely smirks as he tosses a coin in the air and catches it flippantly in response.

A loud explosion sounds dangerously close and the interior of the helicopter is bathed in an orange glow for a second. Rude steers the helicopter through the grey smoke and Reno gloats in his shooting down of an Avalanche helicopter that was preparing to land on the Shinra building rooftop where you were a mere ten minutes before.

Rufus' words suddenly make sense as you gaze limply out of the helicopter window onto the helipad. On the far side you can see four - no - five figures. Two females, two males and one red lion or wolf-like beast with a bright flame at the end of its tail. The more you stare at the creature, the more you believe you are still under the influence of whatever drugs Hojo had subjected you to.

That is when you cast your eyes to the large male, his gun arm and menacing presence is oddly familiar. You frown as your facial muscles seem to awaken while you strain your foggy brain to place this person... Barret! As recognition returns to your mind's eye you see Tifa with a worried look on her face and Aerith shrinking back behind the party. That leaves the spiky haired blonde standing protectively in front of the group drawing his immense sword as the helicopter you are on lands.

Cloud. He is alive!

Your eyes prickle with unshed tears as your physical body cannot reflect the relief and respite of your mind recognising that someone you were mourning so deeply for is alive and well. Your head rolls forward uncontrollably as you try but fail to move. Rufus may have misconstrued this as you reacting to him about to step off the helicopter. He gently lifts and repositions your head upright.

"Don't worry. I'll come back for you." He whispers in your ear before stepping confidently off the helicopter flanked by Darkstar and the four Shinra guards.

Yes, of course you worry about Rufus but the worry is currently being overwhelmed with the urge to run into your former bodyguard's arms. The helicopter returns into the air as Rufus confronts Cloud and the rest of the party. You watch helplessly from above as the Avalanche group sprint off with the Shinra guards on their trail, leaving Cloud standing to face Rufus and Darkstar on his own. You cannot hear what they are saying to each other, but Reno seems to be able to read the unease in your eyes trapped behind your still senseless body.

"He's asking about you." Reno narrates as he and the other Turks must have ear pieces that are linked directly to Rufus. You should have guessed; Rufus always has a plan B. "Boss is not giving anything away though... Woah. Boss asked Cloud if they could be allies! But... Cloud shot that down quickly..."