Chapter 18 - Scarlet

Reno gets information from another Turk that Scarlet is still at Shinra HQ. You would have guessed as much as you sit quietly in her office seating area waiting for her to return from the materia testing lab.

You look around your surroundings. Your aunt's taste is a little too gaudy for you. The loud lounge set you sit on clashes with the noisy rug and flamboyant artwork on the walls. It is not to your liking, but you can see it fits your aunt's extravagant bordering on pretentious personality. You cast your mind back to your pre-teenage years when the war with Wu Tai was still going strong and Scarlet was only a high rising executive in the Weapons Development Department in Shinra. Her ambition to rise to the top was well known throughout the company and you must give her credit for working her way up the ranks until the opportune moment to affect change came around. Her initiatives to introduce high end weaponry and innovative wartime efforts led to record profits for the company leading to her promotion to Director of Advanced Weaponry.

"Darling! So glad to have you back!" Scarlet burst into the room with two guards in tow. Your aunt uncharacteristically strides towards you and bends down to embrace you airily. You are so shocked by firstly her sudden entrance and secondly her reaction to you, you merely sit there frozen on the spot pressed into her voluptuous chest.

After a few seconds she pulls away, leaving behind her sultry perfume lingering in your nostrils. She sits crossed legged in the armchair across from you. You have always admired the confidence your aunt exudes and though you refuse to admit to yourself, all your life you have strived to emulate this self-assurance. However, this admiration is quickly replaced with a sour taste in your mouth as you watch your aunt click her fingers at one of her two guards and point down to her feet. The guard instantly understands and to your shock gets down on all fours as Scarlet rests her legs on her human footrest.

"I'm glad you weren't harmed. Actually, you seemed to have blossomed since I last saw you." You almost let yourself believe your aunt is showing you genuine affection before she continues. "Can't have anything happen to that pretty face or no one will have you, let alone Rufus Shinra!" Scarlet laughs maniacally at her own words as your face drops and your walls go straight back up.

"It's good to be back." You say dryly.

"Don't you have dinner with Rufus tonight?" Scarlet asks suddenly.

"Erm yes. I'm going back later to see Rufus. How did you -" You reply with a confused expression on your face.

"Go! Go!" Scarlet cuts you off mid-sentence and gestures with her hands at the door, a wide smile plastered unnaturally on her face.

"B-But we only just sat down. Don't you want to know what happened to me all this time..." Your frustration with your only living relative is evident in your voice. However, she either does not notice or she chooses to ignore it. Your aunt kicks the grovelling guard away with one of her killer heels and stands to step beside you while gesturing for you to get up out of your seat. She puts a manicured hand on your shoulder guiding you steadily towards the door.

"We have plenty of time for idle chats. Don't want to waste time here and keep our Rufus waiting."

"Wasting time?" You cannot help but scoff to yourself. Your patience has run out and you are actually glad that your aunt cut your meeting so short. You cannot believe you let yourself think she cares.

At the door, she holds you at an arm's length, you are expressionless, not letting yourself show an ounce of curiosity as to why your aunt is acting so bizarrely. She seems to be trying to contain her excitement as she again unexpectedly gives you another hug. As you did the first time, you just let it happen.

You close the door to her office and let out a long breath to try and ground yourself after a short but taxing encounter with your aunt. You turn a corner to find Reno waiting.

"That was quick." He remarks, fiddling with the goggles he wears on his forehead as he joins into step beside you.

"Yeah." Your reply is deflated.

Sensing your mood, Reno changes the topic and starts to fill you in with goings on in your absence to try and cheer you up. By the time he pulls up in the underground garage and is walking you back to the guest room, your mood has dramatically improved. You resign that meeting with your aunt to the long list of strange and awkward grievances your relationship with her consists of.

At the door to the bedroom, you thank Reno for being such an effective pick me up. He smiles but puts an arm up to stop you from entering the room to freshen up.

"Now you are being weird too?" You say defeatedly.

"Not weird, just letting you know there's a selection of pre-approved outfits inside that Boss has requested you wear for dinner later. Please make your way to the ballroom when you are ready." Reno says quite formally and out of character.

Pre-approved? Outfits? Ballroom? You know you will not be able to get any more answers from him even if you ask and so you just shrug to turn and shut yourself in this guest room.

Leaning against the door you have just entered through, you close your eyes. You have not been up for long, but you are already emotionally spent. Sighing out loud, you head to the bathroom to wash your face as you vow to not be a downer and to try your best to enjoy your first evening back in your old life.

After freshening up, you walk over to the large wardrobe and apprehensively open the doors. Inside you find three expensive looking garment carriers which you unhook and proceed to carry them to the bed for closer inspection. They are heavier than expected so you are glad to let them fall from your arms. You unzip the first to see a dark exotic off shoulder high slit dress. The second is a burgundy V-neck full length evening chiffon dress with sequins. The third is a pale pastel corset dress with long translucent sleeves and floral detail running throughout. All three dresses have matching accessories and shoes included in the garment bags.

For fun you try on all three dresses, all of which suspiciously fit your body perfectly. The first you think is a bit too revealing for dinner with a childhood friend; you like the colour of the second but it is a bit too formal for the occasion, so you decide to go with the third which has a wild traditional feel to it when you see yourself in the mirror. However, you decide against the matching pointed toe cross strap heels and defiantly wear your boots instead, effectively toning down and giving a harder edge to your look. You loosely braid your hair and pull it to one side so that it drapes over one shoulder, leaving strands to fall freely to frame your face.

You look in the mirror one more time and as satisfied as you can be, walk out towards the ballroom with your head held high, mentally preparing yourself for whatever the night has in store.