Chapter 8 - Am I enough?

An echoey metallic clang rings out with each step you take atop the building you had just climbed up. Cloud was right, you would have never been able to find your way up here by yourself. With the buildings around you at most two storeys, this one gives the most uninterrupted view of both the Plate and Section 7 beneath it.

You see a small rusty water tank across the canopy but it is the only other thing on this gently sloping roof. As it is a clear night you decide to walk to the middle and sit down, you hear Cloud follow and feel him perch down beside you stealthily like a cat. He shifts his sword out of the way and settles with one leg stretched out and one bent so that he can rest an arm on it. As his blonde spikes shift gently with the breeze, you cannot help but wonder how someone can look so serene and troubled at the same time. With his proximity, you bring your knees up to your chest, hugging them tightly and protectively as if it would somehow save you from the inappropriate overwhelming feelings you harbour inside for this man.

You both sit like this silently for a while, you distract yourself from his presence by tracing the streets with your eyes and trying to commit them to memory. Cloud is so still beside you, you wonder if he had fallen asleep until you stretch out on the roof beside him to look directly up at the plate above. You bring your hands up and intertwine them behind your head, getting as comfortable as you can on a corrugated metal roof.

"What is this building?" You ask matter of factly.

"It's a school. I found this place when I was doing a job for a little girl who asked me to look for her lost cats."

"A job for a little girl?" You ask amused.

"Yeah. Tifa made me." Cloud says flatly.

"I see..." Your mind casts uneasily over their close relationship.

"You know there's no one up here but us. You can relax." You say gently to Cloud. He seems surprised by your comment and shifts his weight to be able to look down at you.

"Why do you say that?" He asks, eyes searching for yours but you do not give him the satisfaction and keep your eyes fixed on the plate above.

"Dunno, just feels like it must be tiring keeping that facade up 24/7. I also know a thing or two about hiding behind self-imposed walls you know." Your tone is kind and sombre at the same time.

"What do you mean?" Cloud questions compellingly.

"Oh no you don't. You first." You smile gently but expectantly at him.

He looks a little lost but then says, "It's hard to put into words."

"Go on." You urge gently, sitting up onto your elbows, now looking straight into Cloud's face.

His expression looks strained but he slowly finds the words.

"I feel pressure. There's a pressure on me to always do the right thing. Be the protector to everyone. My worst fear is to seem weak and lose the people I care about."

"Why do you think you feel this way?" You enquire.

"I don't know." Cloud says simply.

"Because of what happened to your father and then your mother?" The words leave your mouth before you can stop them and you bite your lip as you are being a little too intrusive.

"Yeah. Maybe... Probably." Cloud replies, his eyes glazed looking off into the distance.

You are taken aback as you did not expect such an honest reply.

"I've never really thought that deeply into it before but I guess it makes sense." He continues.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to pry."