Chapter 17|Unveiling Perspectives

A newfound sense of respect bloomed within Aahil, like a seed long dormant finally sprouting in the light. The experiences of the past weeks had shifted his perspectives, opening his eyes to the strength and resilience of the women around him. As he stood in his room, memories of his mother's final moments lingered in his mind, a bittersweet mix of pain and understanding.

In the hall, Ayesha's expression held a blend of gratitude and empathy. "Thank you, Maryam," she said softly.

Maryam turned to her, her smile genuine. "For what?"

"For being there for him," Ayesha replied. "I know you helped him through a difficult time."

Maryam shrugged off the compliment, her gaze meeting Ayesha's. "We were all here for him."

Ayesha's eyes twinkled with knowing. "You're special to him, you know. The way he smiles when he looks at you..."

Maryam chuckled, shaking her head. "Come on, Ayesha baaji, don't tease me."

Ayesha's smile widened. "I'm serious. You two are perfect for each other."

Maryam laughed softly, a hint of wistfulness in her eyes. "Kuch bhi. We're two different people with completely different viewpoints. We could never see eye to eye."

Ayesha's gaze softened. "But he knows you. He listens to you. And I think he likes you."

Maryam rolled her eyes, dismissing the idea. "Ayesha baaji, we're not each other's type. He's too conservative, and I'm too modern."

Ayesha's expression turned contemplative. "Mohabbat soch nahi dekhti, dil dekhti hai."

Maryam laughed. "Ayesha baaji, aaj aapko kya hogaya hai? You know I'm engaged to someone."

Ayesha's smile was knowing. "Kisse?"

"Steven," Maryam replied.

Ayesha nodded. "Not a Muslim, but he's a good person, right?"

Maryam hesitated for a moment, then answered honestly, "Yes, he is."

"That's good. You love Steven, then?" Ayesha asked, her gaze steady.

Maryam paused, her thoughts drifting to Steven and the connection they shared. "Yes, I do."

As if on cue, Aahil's voice cut through the conversation from outside the room. "Maryam, I'm waiting for you in the car."

Maryam's heart skipped a beat, and she stood to join him. Ayesha watched her with a knowing smile, her words lingering in the air.

As Maryam stepped outside, Aahil's eyes met hers. His voice held a hint of sincerity as he complimented her attire. "You look pretty."

Maryam's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Are you okay?"

He chuckled softly. "Of course, I am, Kyun nahi hona chahiye?"

"Nahi hona chahiye. It's okay. Thanks. It's just that compliments from you are hard to digest. Plus, I'm wearing a western attire". Maryam couldn't believe her ears. Aahil Khan, the man of stern principles, had just given her a genuine compliment and was smiling. The world had shifted on its axis.

"Maryam," he continued, his tone sincere, "I never hated the attire because of cultural reasons. My bias was because of my past, and now that it's cleared, I don't see it with apprehension anymore."

Maryam nodded, a smile tugging at her lips. "Oh, I get it."

They shared a moment of understanding, a silent acknowledgment of the progress they had made. Aahil's smile remained, a hint of warmth in his gaze that sent a rush of inexplicable emotions through Maryam.