Chapter 49: Have Mercy, Please Don't Let Me Go

Start from the beginning

Maybe I just can't help her.

What takes Alex out of her self-loathing thoughts with her office door squeaking opening and shutting with a sharp click.

Maggie has barged in and flops herself down on the redhead's couch.

The shorter girl can't help but feel a bit relieved. It's almost three in the morning now and after work she was planning on going home but knew she would arrive there in an empty apartment. She doesn't think she can handle the thoughts that would plague her in the silence.

Alex knows that she has been neglecting her duties on being a girlfriend, on being a Mama. Maggie understands, Maggie doesn't want her Mama right now without her Mommy right by her side.

Alex can tell that her little bug needs her, she is trying her best, but she knows that she has to focus – But she needs you idiot, everyone is trying to save the same, save Maggie, don't repeat what happened last time when you ignored your little girl's feelings.

The director internally sighs at herself, realising the extent of her neglect.

She puts away her paper. Alex puts on her coat and gathers her things to leave. She can feel Maggie looking at her, probably perplexed as to why they are leaving so soon, as if it's not three in the morning on a Wednesday.

She gets the coat Maggie throws down and motions for the girl to put it on.

Maggie raises her brows on confusion, "Lex we-"

"We are gonna head home. I think we have both neglected ourselves these past two and a half weeks." Alex motions the jacket towards the girl again, silently asking for her to listen.

Maggie obeys slowly.

The redhead helps the detective zip the jacket snug, "We are gonna tell Sammy good night and then go and have a very late dinner." At that the detective's stomach growls.

"I'm not that hungry...."

Alex takes the girl's hand and rolls her eyes, "You say that as if I didn't just hear your stomach. I know you didn't eat till breakfast." She lets go of her girlfriend's hand to lock her office door but quickly grabs it back up. "That's my own fault really, I should have made sure you ate."

Maggie scoffs and her face scrunches up, "I'm an adult, I know how to feed myself." The girl can feel Alex unconsciously squeeze at her hand, it makes her soften. "It's not your fault anyways, we have a lot going on, I just forget."

Alex doesn't buy it but she leaves it be. They slowly and quietly open the door to Sam's room. It's a rarity that they see their girlfriend's face lax, they would almost call it peaceful. It seems that Sam episodes are getting fewer and farther between. They aren't too sure if that's a good thing or not, no one is holding their breath though.

Maggie hesitates going into the room. Out of these past two weeks, she has visited Sam on the first day and the day after. She was there for Sam's episodes and it scared her. Little and Big Maggie couldn't be there. She is ashamed of this fact, ashamed that she couldn't be there for her girlfriend who is in obvious pain.

You've taken on drug dealers, you've been shot, kidnapped, abused, and you can't be there for your fucking girlfriend? Pathetic.

Maggie shakes out of her internal monologue when a hand drags her closer to the white bed.

Both Maggie and Alex observe the body before them. Alex has no idea that Maggie had not been visiting Sam, and Maggie is grateful that Pam hasn't ratted her out.