Chapter 8

The birth of Sophie's child happened February 7th, 2024. In the hospital, Sophie held her child tight to her arms while her parents and Mia watched. Although none of them approved of Sophie raising a child on her own, in person seeing the child brought a completely different feeling.

Sophie stared at her newborn son. She gazed into his almond shaped deep brown eyes, surprised that her son was awake she cooed at him to get his attention. His eyes darted towards her for a second, but then closed as he drifted to sleep quickly.

"He's perfect," Sophie spoke softly.

"What are you going to name him?" Her mom whispered, anxious that Sophie would pick too much of a modern name.

Sophie's go to name had always been Luke. However, considering everything including the baby's father she knew she couldn't get away with giving her son that name. Sophie stayed silent, thinking of what she could name her baby. In that moment, she wished that she had someone besides her to help. She felt a tear rush down and land softly on her son. Luckily, her son didn't wake up or start crying.

"Kai," She answered.

Sophie's mom wiped the sweat off her face and smiled. After announcing the baby's name, the nurses had to kick everyone out of the room for a little more testing. As everyone rushed out, Sophie sat there staring as the nurses performed a few tests.

It was in this moment that she had wished she told Calum. However, there was no way to even know if they were compatible in any capacity. Sure, they were sexually compatible, but conversation never even went farther. With the birth of her son, she had never felt more lonely in life knowing that she wouldn't be alone for eighteen years straight. While waiting, she scrolled through a few texts that Calum had sent from a number that wasn't saved anymore.

November 8th 2023

Calum: Hey, sry about my texts last night. I missed the warmth of ur body next to mine.

December 25th 2023

Calum: Merry Christmas! Thought I'd reach out one more time :)

January 1st 2024

Calum: Happppppy NeW Yeaar, sweaar this is the last time i'll text u. Ur def the best I've ever had. Come over? HosTing at mine and logks like partyy going late

February 6th 2024

Calum: Hey, sry. I can't stop thinking about u. Ik we've seen each other a little, but I think we could be smth.

Calum: Do u wanna go out with me to dinner?

Calum: I'm sry it took so long for me to ask.

After reading back all the texts, Sophie put her phone down. She continued to watch the nurses handle her baby, and eventually she fell asleep from being physically and emotionally exhausted. By the time she woke up, her parents and Mia were in front of her watching.

"Officially discharged!" Mia hollered a little too loud.

Sophie's mother shushed Mia. Together, they all helped the newborn and new mother out and into the car. Sophie's dad had already installed the car seat, and they drove slowly home. On the way home, they had stopped for doughnuts by Sophie's request.

Sophie's dad had gently pulled into the parking lot of King's Row Coffee shop. Sophie stared up at the sign and back at her baby, all she could think about was how it was the first time she met her baby's father. As her parents went into the coffee shop to order, Sophie began sobbing as silently as possible.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Mia asked with a frown.

"Kai won't have a father," Sophie answered truthfully, letting her sobs increase.

"I'm sorry, he's got an entire family here though," Mia replied pulling Sophie into a hug. Sophie didn't pull away for a while. Mia let the hug linger for a bit, and then pulled away. Mia raised her hand to Sophie's eyes and wiped away the tears.

"You know, I met him here," Sophie softly spoke.

"Oh," Mia replied, not knowing what to say in response to her best friend who had finally opened up about the father after her begging.

"I never told him," Sophie sighed.

Mia paused, unsure if she should continue the conversation. She didn't want to push it too far. "Why not?"

"He was a really busy guy, I couldn't ruin his life with a baby," Sophie replied.

Before Mia could continue to speak, the car doors flung open. With a smile, Sophie's mom had passed her a doughnut. In that moment as the car door remained open for a few seconds, Sophie got a glimpse of the 6'1 Aussie she used to mess around with. She couldn't tell if he saw her or remembered her car, but she panicked and quickly hid her face with the doughnut she was given. It wasn't a great hiding space, especially since it had a hole in the middle. Luckily, there was no text that appeared so Sophie was able to relax.

As Sophie got home, she sat Kai down in the nursery and watched him sleep with her parents and Mia. She couldn't help but smile at his beautiful face and his soft eyelids. On top of all of that, he had the perfect new baby smell.

Eventually, Sophie's parents had left the room and Mia had to go to work. Finally, Sophie had Kai all to herself. Even though Kai was asleep, Sophie picked him up and held him in her arms. To Sophie's excitement, Kai remained asleep and Sophie just got to keep staring. That was until, her phone began ringing. Luckily, Kai didn't start crying. Sophie put Kai back into his crib and then picked up the phone.

"Hey, Sophie. I saw your car at King's Row today. I thought about you. I'm not sure if you saw my text, but I'd love to take you out to dinner," Calum spoke.

Sophie didn't respond. In fact, she didn't know what to say. That was, until Kai began crying and at that point she knew Calum must have had an idea.