Chapter X: Central Imperium

29 Degrees, Central Imperium (Kingdom of Jeong) Morning.

Claire Elford, 1894, 15th June, Tranhanseong Railway;

The rural countryside, green fields with dotted pinks and whites of mugunghwa. The national flower of the Kingdom of Jeong.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Sophie utters delicately, staring through the window as well. The muted chugging of the train persisted within the brief pause of silence.

"Yeah... it is." It's hard to comprehend how much I've travelled around the world, it truly never gets old. I still have this glimmer of hope that things will stay the same. I've gotten to see how diverse and unique each place we live is. Cruising past on the Titanicus from Southington Britannia to New England Borealia, from there we boarded a zeppelin to see the view of New Americana to travel to San Francisca, Unified States. We took a vessel reaching past the Grand Pacifica Ocean. Finally arriving at the Central Imperium (Sakura Kingdom). We sailed further to our destination of Pusan, Central Imperium (Kingdom of Jeong). It was enjoyable seeing Sophie chat with different groups of people for business, whilst I gathered data on the local weather. It gave me a sense of normalcy. Even with a threat looming over the air, people live on nonetheless. Their ignorance, bliss.

"Do you know the history of the Central Imperium?" Sophie turns to me, signalling to the book in hand. I do read a lot, but Sophie has me beat. She always reads dozens of books, understanding the culture around her surroundings to feel more accustomed. Giving recommendations to me once in a while, to which I promise to read. Although, they can be a little much.

"Oh, I haven't read that book yet. My apologies." I give out a sheepish smile in hopes of reconciliation.

"Oh, who would have guessed? I suppose I can give you a little brief. Considering its recent history and all. But try and keep up, Claire!" She gestures a pout.

"I'd prefer you explain things. You know I'm not a fast reader, but I do know you're a great speaker." The compliment seemed to usher an accepting grin. Looks like anything that'll grow her ego of hers will make her look the other way...

"Hmph! Fine, I'll let this transgression slide this time." She chuckles slightly, hearing herself. I laugh too. Ah, Sophie can sometimes be so absurd.

"Well, the Sakura Kingdom and the Kingdom of Jeong battled one another throughout history. However, in recent years a royal marriage between the two brought the opposing countries to unify under one banner. The Central Imperium, the flag compromises both national flowers. Spring comes with the sakura with the fall of summer. Whilst in the beginning of autumn, arrives the mugunghwa. Open borders between the two and cooperation were introduced. The slow arrival of cultural identity between the two emerged as the announcement of an heir between the two royal families became public. That was seven years ago. With that ended the Raiju period. A poetic ending, I would say."

The marriage must have been an arduous process throughout all of that. At least it sounds like a happy ending. It warms my heart. Sophie goes back to her mini diary, writing diligently.

"What're you writing?" I pounce to her side of the cabin, kneeling my head inside it.

"Claire!" She slams the book shut, expressing a gasp of air. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to get to the contents...

"What, why can't I take a peak?" I widen my eyes, biting my lip.

"You know the reason why Claire." I frown,

"Aren't we friends?" She raises an eyebrow, slightly irritated at my expression.

"Yes, we're best friends. How dare you imply we're anything lower." She throws a quick smirk, inadvertently changing the subject.