Fear #2

As we enter the store, Hao is already inside, chatting away with the cashier. I look at the cashier and say hello, trying to be as polite as possible. He doesn't even spare me a glance, doesn't answer, and proceeds to talk with Hao.

"I don't know, we might close it soon"

"No! Why?" asks Hao, eyes wide. I just watch while I wait for Cho to get whatever she wants to buy.

"Not enough money, you know. There is another store that just opened that's really close to the Wakeone School, so students stopped coming here" the man says, face sad and disappointed.

"Well, believe me, I'll continue coming here every day!" says Hao, smiling. I smile in return, noticing how different he is when he isn't talking to me. It's like he's a different person, but once again, it's not even his real personality.

"Oh, thank you! I'm afraid it won't be enough though. Before, the store was filled with students coming after school, but now, barely anyone comes by" the man says, smiling at Hao's kindness. I walk to Hao's side, not really knowing what to do, and fake looking at the candy stacks on display.

"I'll make sure that people will come," says Hao, the smile not leaving. I want to wipe that perfect smile off his face. It's so annoying.

"No need, kid. Just focus on your studies and have a good future, alright?" the cashier says kindly, and Hao nods before looking at me, face expressionless. I look back at him awkwardly, half crouched by looking at the candies, and my head turning at a weird angle to look at him. Suddenly, Hao smiles and shoves me up from the ground, making me face the cashier.

"This is Hanbin, by the way. He goes to Wakeone School as well" he says. I smile awkwardly, surprised by Hao's actions. Unlike him, I'm not exactly inclined to make friends at the moment.

"Oh! Well, I hope you visit often Hanjen" The man says, a crooked smile playing on his face

"It's-uh-Hanbin, and yes, of course," I say, letting out a laugh

"Right, right, Hanbin. Are you friends with our dear Hao?" the man asks

"No, he's one grade older than me. He's my sister's... friend?" Hao says, looking at me to make sure that he said it right. I nod at him, knowing that Cho and I aren't anything else for the moment, and look at the man

"His sister and I are very good friends," I say

"That's nice to hear. Well, I hope that you and your girlfriend will visit soon!"

"Oh no! She's not my girlfriend, sir, please don't misunderstand" I say, surprised

"Not your girlfriend? Just a friend?"

"Yes sir"

"A man will always end up liking a friend that is a girl. Well then, I hope you and your friend visit often" the man says, letting the topic go. I nod and glare at Hao for putting me in this situation. 

It's just so... uncomfortable.

I don't know why I feel so uneasy. Maybe it's because I don't know what Cho and I really are. I thought she liked me, or had an interest in me, but bit by bit, I started doubting it. It's so weird, she just clings to me and always invites me to her house, and enjoys the time that she is with me, but at the end of the day, she doesn't know anything about me no matter how many times I tell her something. It's almost like she doesn't care.

"Bin! I'll get you some ice cream! Is that ok?" Cho calls out

"Yeah, sure. Thanks" I reply, hearing her rummage through packs of ice cream at the far end of the convenience store