Chapter 15: I am making a statement.

Jesse.

"Nick, are you serious?" I look at myself in the mirror in the suit that has been chosen for my sister's wedding, and I feel they may have lost the plot. Maybe it's the postpartum brain? I don't know, but I feel ridiculous.

"What?"

"Suspenders, Nick? Suspenders? And a burgundy tie with, what's this colour? Pink? Pink flowers? I look like a wanker."

My future brother-in-law spins around as the tailor helps him to wear a grey waistcoat before eyeing me, "that's what your sister likes. She saw it on a magazine, and she fell in love with it. I am not going to go against her on this, not after she pushed my daughter out of her vagina, mate."

I grimace, and I am ready to puke my lunch from three days ago, "why is everyone so focused on my sister's lady parts? I don't want to hear it!"

"Then, wear the suspenders, Jesse."

"Fine, but you owe me, big time."

Nick shakes his head in disbelief, and he takes his attention back to the tailor that is fitting him. I have gotten hold of the only other mirror available, and all I can do is roll my eyes at my reflection. I mean, I still look as charming as always, but it isn't really my style; only my sister could pick something like that. Tristan and Callum, a friend from uni who is an integral part of the West Ham support group we have created, march to the mirror and push me aside.

"You look handsome; can you get out of our way, now?"

I slap Cal at the base of his neck, "you're just jealous," I growl but the fucker laughs in response, with Tristan joining him. Oh, the brotherhood.

"Are there going to be any cute birds at the wedding, Nick?" Callum asks while twirling to check his side and back.

"All three bridesmaids are single, I think," the groom informs him as he buttons up his waistcoat.

I can see Tristan rubbing his chin before speaking, "I am told that the maid of honour is particularly beautiful."

I feel my pupils dilating at his words, and I whip my head around to face him, my lips tightly pressed against one another and my nostrils flaring in anger. What the hell is he thinking? The moment his eyes meet mine, the loudest roar erupts from Tristan's chest, with Nick joining him and bursting out laughing. I hate them both.

"Oh, you should have seen your face, mate. Hilarious," Nick says between deep breaths.

Callum interjects, tilting his head to the side, "I guess I can't have her, then?"

"Don't even think about it, mate," I put my hand on his shoulder, squeezing and pinching it more than I should have, "she's way out of your league, and she is taken."

I watch as Tristan's mouth falls open, shocked at the news, which is not quite true, but he doesn't need to know this now. Guess who is laughing now.

"You're not taking the midwife, then?" Tristan asks as he works his tie to get the perfect knot.

"No."

"Have you told her?"

"Well..."

Nick rolls his eyes, "you have to."

"Listen, she wanted to see me the day of the wedding, and I told her I won't be available because I will be at a wedding, and you know what her reply was? Oh, I love weddings."

Callum cuts me off, a smile on his boyish face, "cute."

"Yeah, yeah," I dismiss him, "anyways, I just said that they're alright, I guess, and I would be in touch with her after the wedding."