Chapter 24

I wake up the next morning feeling a little dizzy. Scanning the room, I expect to find Jason nearby, but he's nowhere to be seen. The events of yesterday rush back, unsettling my already fragile state.

Pushing aside the unease gnawing at my insides, I swing my legs over the edge of the bed and plant my feet on the floor. A soft knock echoes through the room, drawing my attention to the door. Could it be Jason?

I cross the room in quick strides, my hand trembling slightly as it reaches for the doorknob. With a swift motion, I pull the door open, only to be met with the sight of a tall man in a sleek tuxedo, his features hidden behind a pair of dark sunglasses. He stands with an air of authority, casting a commanding presence that leaves me feeling small and vulnerable in comparison.

"Who are you?" I ask, my curiosity eating at me.

"I'm your bodyguard." The man says. I was immediately startled by his deep voice. It's too early in the morning for this and he should consider whispering in the mornings to be somewhat considerate.

But where is Jason? Did he time-travel and come back as his future self? Because this guy definitely isn't the Jason I know.

"You're not Jason," I point out, eyeing the man's tall stature and full-grown beard. He looks middle-aged. "Why are you here?" I question, feeling uneasy about the stranger's presence.

"Jason sent me, Miss," he replies.

"Why did he send you?" I continue my questioning, despite sensing his annoyance. But I don't care; I need answers from him.

"Because he needed someone to protect you while he was out. He'll be back soon, I'm sure of it. He called me last night, and your parents booked a flight for me to come here first thing in the morning. I'll be watching over you temporarily," he explains.

"Out?" I'm fixated on that one word about Jason. Did he quit? What does that mean?

"Yes, he's out. But don't worry. Like I said, he'll be back. I'll only be here for a day or two, depending on Jason's return," he answers. I sigh, feeling a little relieved knowing Jason didn't quit.

Was I the reason that Jason really went 'out'? It can't be because of the kiss. If anything, I'm the one who deserves a break from him. I glance up at the man again.

"What's your name?" I ask, wanting to at least know the name of the person who'll be guarding me in Jason's absence.

"Ted," he replies promptly.

"Okay, well, Ted, can you wait outside while I, um... get dressed?" I awkwardly request.

"Sure." He gives me a small smile and walks off.

I close the door behind me, shutting Ted out of the room, and make my way over to the desk where my laptop rested. With a flick of the screen, I open it up and dial up Stephanie on FaceTime. She answers after a few rings, her face lighting up the screen.

"Ava! Finally! I've been dying to hear from you. How's Florida treating you? Have you been partying it up? Hit the beach yet?" Stephanie fires off her questions with rapid-fire.

"Yeah, went to a party, but the beach is still on my to-do list," I respond, trying to keep up with her energy. She takes in my appearance, her concern evident.

"What's up? You look exhausted," she observes, her eye catching the fatigue in my appearance. It's like she sees right through me sometimes.

"I um...didn't get enough sleep last night. There's a lot on my mind," I answer truthfully.

"Like what?" She's nosy.

"Don't worry about it," I quickly dismiss her question. I know she's my best friend but there's no way I'm telling her about the kiss. I'll sound pathetic explaining how quick Jason was to leave afterwards because of how displeased he was, and he left me crying to Nana.