Chapter Twenty One•Making A Fire

Start from the beginning

As the limo began to drive, Dave looked up to his band mates. "Everyone, this is my friend, Eliza."

"Hi Eliza!" Krist said gleefully.

Eliza looked over at Kurt, who just smiled at her and shot her a quick wave. He seemed very shy, but kind.

"Crazy how the biggest rockstar in the world is so quiet." Eliza thought to herself.

"Dude, weren't you the girl from the show a few weeks ago?" Krist asked, still excited to be talking to someone new.

"Yep, that was me!" Eliza said, trying to break the ice with these guys.

Kurt smiled, likely recalling the events that happened at that show.

"Well I thought Dave was going to implode, watching you with that guy." Krist said, laughing, clearly not reading the room.

"She's here, and let's show her a good time." Dave said, trying to change the subject.

"Yeah, I didn't come all the way down here for nothing." Eliza said, making the three of them laugh.

From the time they had begun to drive and when they arrived, the sun had set. The limo parked, and a man in a black suit exited out of the passenger seat, and escorted the band, plus Eliza, into the front door of another hotel. Once in the lobby, the man in the suit flashed a card to the security guard from the hotel, who nodded and smiled. He then began to show them the way to the elevators.

They boarded and rode the elevator to the very top floor. Once the doors opened, they took the small flight of stairs up to a door, which the guard opened. It revealed a roof top party. There were people standing all over the roof, drinks in hand. There were lights strung across the handrail, and a full bar with a bartender was placed against the wall. Everyone in attendance looked important, making Eliza feel extremely out of place. She could tell that these people were of some importance, because the arrival of Nirvana, the most famous people on the planet, wasn't turning heads.

"You're fine. You're with me." Dave whispered into her ear as they approached the bar, sensing her anxiety.

She smiled and ordered a drink. Dave sat with her at the bar as they both began to drink.

After a few, Dave looked over at her, and smiled. "Drink up, sweetheart." He said, slurring his words. "We've got a ride home."

"Dave, will you come here for a moment? There's someone I'd like you to meet." The guy from the limo called.

"I'll be right back." Dave said to Eliza as he walked over to the man.

Eliza sat there, alone, just observing the people she was surrounded by. She was startled by Krist, who stumbled over to her.

"So you really aren't dating Dave?" He said, also slurring his words.

"No, well, we used to. Not anymore. We're just friends."

"I don't think so."

"What do you mean, you don't know?" Eliza responded, laughing.

"Dave told me all about you."

"Well, what did he say?"

"He was very nervous for you to come down here. Said something about you being the love of his life, or something like that."

Eliza choked on her drink. "Dave said that?" She said, stunned.

"Yeah, dude, do you know how many times he would be crying before shows? Everyone knew "oh, don't go into Dave's dressing room, he's probably crying about his ex-girlfriend."