Alchemy and Nicholas Flamel

Dumbledore had convinced Harry not to go looking for the Mirror of Erised again.However, as the nights unfolded, haunting nightmares gripped Harry's mind. He found himself trapped in a relentless loop, witnessing the heart-wrenching scene of his parents vanishing amidst a burst of emerald light, while a chilling, high-pitched laughter echoed.

Fuelled by the need to distract his mind, he continued his quest of Nicholas Flamel in Restricted section.

However, his efforts had yet to yield any results. As he started to go back to the Ravenclaw tower, a book in his eyes caught the title "Hogwarts: A History" by Bathilda Bagshot, Edition of 1974. His curiosity surged at the prospect of reading first edition of the very first magical book he had ever read. Seized by the impulse, he tucked the book under his cloak and made his way towards Ravenclaw Tower.

Harry eagerly flipped through the pages of the book, engrossed in its tales of the Four Founders, the origin of the Houses, the dedicated staff, and the intriguing array of subjects taught at Hogwarts. However, it was when he stumbled upon the Alchemy section that he was truly astonished. In that section, nestled among the ancient wisdom, he found a mention of Nicholas Flamel. Harry's eyes widened as he read about his connection to alchemy. 

With a sudden gasp of realization, Harry's heart raced

With a sudden gasp of realization, Harry's heart raced. He connected the dots, and realised that the unknown artifact hidden on the third floor was none other than the Philosopher's Stone.

And if Professor Quirrell or whoever is after the stone, then it's definitely bad news. 

Hermione returned the day before the term started, and when Harry shared his recent escapades with her, she found herself torn between feelings of horror and relief. Horror at the idea of Harry venturing out of bed and roaming the school premises for three consecutive nights ("If Filch had caught you!") And stealing a book from Library (she intended to have him return it once she had the chance to read the treasured first edition of her favorite book), yet a sense of happiness that he had managed to uncover the identity of Nicholas Flamel and the mystery object behind the trap door on the third floor.

"I think he asked Dumbledore to keep it safe for him, because he knew someone was after it, that's why he wanted the Stone moved out of Gringotts!"said Hermione.

 "A stone that makes gold and stops you from ever dying!" said Harry. "No wonder Quirrell's after it! Anyone would want it."

The next morning during Defense Against the Dark Arts class, as Harry diligently copied down various methods for treating werewolf bites, he found himself regarding Professor Quirrell with a newfound vigilance. A slight twinge of pain in his scar caused him to pause and glance around. His thoughts instinctively drifted towards the Philosopher's Stone, his mind connecting dots between his recent discovery and his current predicament.

If indeed Quirrell was after the stone, a chilling realization took hold of Harry. He needed to tell a Professor about this, but he also understood the importance of having evidence to support his claims. Dismissing his scar's discomfort, he began to strategize. Perhaps he needed proof that could substantiate his concerns about Quirrell possessing dark magic.

On his way back from watching the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin, Harry's mind was still buzzing with the excitement of the game. He was well aware that the Slytherin Seeker had spotted the Snitch and was poised to catch it before their rival Seeker, which meant the match's outcome was all but determined. With this knowledge, he decided to head back towards the castle.

However, his attention was soon diverted as he noticed a peculiar sight. A hooded figure came swiftly down the front steps of the castle. Clearly not wanting to be seen, it walked as fast as possible toward the forbidden forest. 

He followed the hooded figure. Upon reaching a secluded clearing, the figure removed their hood, revealing none other than Quirrell himself. After a few moments, he was joined by none other than  —Professor Snape.

Harry strained to catch what they were saying.

". . . I don't know why you wanted to meet here of all places, Severus . . ." Quirrell's voice quivered.

"Oh, I thought we'd keep this private," Snape's tone was icy, his words dripping with a cold detachment. "Students aren't supposed to know about the Philosopher's Stone, after all."

Leaning forward to hear better, Harry could make out Quirrell's mumbled words, only to be interrupted by Snape's firm voice.

"Have you found out how to get past that beast of Hagrid's yet?" Snape's voice was sharp, pressing for information.

"B-b-but Severus, I —" Quirrell stuttered in response, sounding flustered.

"You don't want me as your enemy, Quirrell," Snape's tone was stern as he took a calculated step forward.

"I-I don't know what you —" Quirrell's stammered reply was cut off by Snape's cutting words.

"You know perfectly well what I mean."

As he listened to their conversation, two thoughts raced through Harry's mind. First, the possibility that his earlier suspicions were wrong and Snape might actually be the one attempting to obtain the Philosopher's Stone. Second, the realization that Snape was aware of Quirrell's intentions, much like Harry himself, and was attempting to extract information. 

"— your little bit of hocus-pocus. I'm waiting."

"B-but I d-d-don't —"

"Very well," Snape cut in, his patience wearing thin. "We'll have another little chat soon, once you've had time to think things over and make a decision about your loyalties."

Snape draped his cloak over his head and briskly departed from the clearing. As twilight settled in, the surroundings becoming dimly lit, Harry's focus shifted to Quirrell. He observed Quirrell standing there, his lips moving as if he were engaged in a low conversation with someone, despite the fact that there was no one visible to Harry's eyes.

"Harry, where have you been?" Hermione squeaked, her voice a mix of concern and reproach.

"Let's find an empty room, you wait 'til you hear this. . . ." said Harry breathlessly.

"So you mean the Stone's only safe as long as Snape holds Quirrell back," said Hermione in an alarmed tone.

"Yep, if he's trying to protect it, but if not then —" replied Harry, his voice carrying a note of concern.