The Potion Master

The Ravenclaw first years followed Penelope through the chattering crowds, out of the Great Hall, and up the marble staircase. Harry's legs were like lead again, but only because he was so tired and full of food. He was too sleepy even to be surprised that the people in the portraits along the corridors whispered and pointed as they passed, or that twice Penelope led them through doorways hidden behind sliding panels and hanging tapestries. They climbed in tight, dizzying circles; At last they reached a door. There was no handle and no keyhole: nothing but a plain expanse of aged wood, and a bronze knocker in the shape of an eagle. Penelope reached out a pale hand, which looked eerie floating in midair, unconnected to arm or body. She knocked once, and in the silence it sounded to Harry like a cannon blast. At once the beak of the eagle opened, but instead of a bird's call, a soft, musical voice said,

"Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?"
"The answer is that a circle has no beginning." said Penelope

"Well reasoned," said the voice, and the door swung open.

The Ravenclaw common room was a wide, circular room, airier. Graceful arched windows punctuated the walls, which were hung with blue- and-bronze silks: By day, the Ravenclaws would have a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. The ceiling was domed and painted with stars, which were echoed in the midnight-blue carpet. There were tables, chairs, and bookcases, and in a niche opposite the door stood a tall statue of white marble.

 There were tables, chairs, and bookcases, and in a niche opposite the door stood a tall statue of white marble

Harry recognized Rowena Ravenclaw from the bust he had seen from books. The founder of Ravenclaw. The statue stood beside a door that led to dormitories above. He strode right up to the marble woman, and she seemed to look back at him with a quizzical half smile on her face, beautiful yet slightly intimidating.
Penelope led the girls to their dormitory and the boys to their. At the top of a spiral staircase -- they were obviously in one of the towers -- they found their beds at last: five four-posters hung with blue, bronze curtains. Their trunks had already been brought up. Too tired to talk much, everyone pulled on their pajamas and fell into bed.

Harry entered the common room to read his book, "A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration." He found Hermione sitting on a sofa near the fireplace, which was at the center of the room, having a conversation with Penelope.

"I do hope they start right away. There's so much to learn. I'm particularly interested in Transfiguration, you know, turning something into something else. Of course, it's supposed to be very difficult."

"You'll be starting small, just matches into needles and that sort of thing," Penelope replied.

Harry settled in a corner of the room and began going through his book. After some time, Penelope was leaving.

"You should go to your room, Granger," she said to Hermione.

Then she looked at Harry and added, "You too, Potter."

Feeling warm and sleepy, Harry agreed with her and bid them farewell. "Goodnight, Penelope. Goodnight, Hermione," he said.

"Goodnight, Potter," Penelope responded.