"Mom, who is he, and why are we running from him?" I asked, unable to see anyone following us now.

"We'll discuss it later, Ely. Just trust me; I'll tell you everything when the time is right," she reassured, stroking my head with her shaky hand and pulled me close, taking me in her arms. Her body was shaking violently.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart," she whispered in my ear just before I heard the driver's panicked shout and the sound of a crash, plunging me into darkness.

••••••

He... He was the same man who chased us that day. Due to that accident, I lost consciousness. Thankfully, there were no serious consequences because none of us were seriously injured. Mom informed me that she paid for the car damages to the driver because the car was completely destroyed. It exploded after the driver helped her rescue me from the car, a fact I never quite understood. How did the car explode when we weren't even seriously hurt? Although I suspected Mom wasn't telling me the complete truth, I didn't pry due to her state at that time.

I never saw that man again. We never returned to our house; Mom and I shifted to another city. She even refused to reveal his identity or explain why he pursued us. I don't know why Mom was so terrified of him, but she made me promise that I would never attempt to learn about him, and if I ever encountered him, all I should do was run. I often wondered if he was the reason why Mom forbid me from working in the corporate sector.

I felt both annoyed and helpless at that time. I wanted to know who he was and what his intentions were. I needed to understand why Mom was so concerned about him, why she didn't share anything about him, or what the man did to terrify her. I resented that man for putting my mom through this ordeal.

Staring out of the car window, countless scenarios and questions swirled in my head once again. Years ago, I respected Mom's decision, not wanting to add to her worries, but I hadn't forgotten that day.

To think of, when I saw him at the mall, did he actually notice me there? Did he follow me?

"Would you tell me what happened?" Ares' voice pulled me from my reverie.

I turned my questioning gaze to him. He looked at me for a moment before focusing on the road.

"It's clear something happened in there," he gestured to my face and shrugged.

Ah, he must have noticed my panic.

"I... Nothing serious happened. I just... saw my ex," I blurted. "Yeah, um, ex-boyfriend, with someone else," I made up an immediate lie.

He turned to face me with a raised eyebrow as I noticed his hand on the steering wheel tighten.

"Who?" He asked with a stoic face.

"Huh?" I looked at him dumbfounded. I hadn't thought that far while making up the lie.

"Your ex," he clarified, glancing at the road briefly before returning his gaze to me.

I averted my eyes, staring out of the window again, biting my lip. "Just someone," I mumbled.

"I thought you said Sven and you never dated," his voice held a sharp edge. I snapped my head back. I thought he hadn't heard me earlier.

"It's not Sven!" I exclaimed. Why was he so hung up on Sven anyway? "I said I didn't date Sven; it doesn't mean I haven't dated at all. Besides, whoever my ex is, it shouldn't concern you. After all, we aren't acquainted anymore. You made that clear years ago, Mr. Knight," I retorted, irritated by his behavior and myself for making up more lies.

Wait a minute! Did I just say all that?

I looked up at him, surprised to see his shocked expression and parted lips.