𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐲𝐨𝐮
2 years ago

Loureline and Chris had confessed to his parents that they were dating and now it was her parents turn.

They sat together at the dinner table and ate dinner. They talked about different things and at some point Chris looked at Lori to tell her with a look that she should tell them now.

She noticed but ignored it.
Then her father cleared his throat.
"When are you going to tell us that you are a couple?"

The two looked at their father stupidly while their mother started laughing.
"Did you really think we didn't know? I'm your mother Lori." She said.

"We wanted to tell you today." Chris said. "Yes." Said Lori, embarrassed.
"I'm happy for you, don't be embarrassed Lori sweetie". Said her father and she blushed even more for no reason.

His Pov

Since the evening when Lori by with us, things had become strange between her and me. She didn't look at me much anymore and we rarely saw each other, especially since I was sitting with Jess and her friends more often now.

I mean, sure I see her in the halls of the school, in the cafeteria and at our house I see her sometimes when she goes to nick or matt but we barely interact with each other anymore and that bothered me.

She always says hello to me of course but it was always just a quick "hey" and that's it. She also avoids physical contact completely.

Once she was sitting next to me and our arms accidentally touched, she immediately recoiled and moved her chair further away from me. I asked myself what I had done wrong.

And we were supposed to be friends, but right now it felt like we were becoming estranged again, like she was distancing herself.

I wondered if it was because of Jess, the whole school knew by now that I was dating her but I thought she would be happy to see me  happy and the thing between us would be completely over.

It all felt so weird not being with her and dating someone else. Every time Jess kissed me I thought about her and the kiss that night after Linsey's party. And I wanted to put that memory out of my mind, but the fact that she didn't remember bothered me.

I liked spending time with Jess, she was funny and found me really interesting. She asked me questions all the time and really wanted to get to know me, amber was right. She was great and she was serious about me.
...
There was a lacrosse game about to start and Matt picked up amber and Eline beforehand. I had to talk to her, ask her what was going on.

As we got out of the car and she walked towards the field, probably to see Jer before, I held her hand. She turned around quickly and looked at me with fear for a moment. What was wrong with her,I asked myself.

"Can we talk?" She pulled her hand away and nodded.
"Yeah, sure, what's wrong?" The others continued walking and we stopped near the car.

"Did I do something wrong? Because I feel like you're pushing me away," I asked and she looked at me sadly and shook her head.
"Oh, no, Chris, it's all right."
"Is it really?" she shook her head slightly again, almost imperceptibly.

"Yeah, it's just a lot to think about right now." She lied. I knew her too well to know when she was lying. But I didn't understand why then.

"Okay, but why do we almost never talk?" I wanted to know.
"Because I don't talk about it with anyone."
"I didn't mean just about your thoughts but in general, we haven't talked like this for weeks, the last time was the night you had a fight with your father. I can understand you having Jer to talk to, I have Jess too but it feels like I'm losing you."

She looked at me with wide eyes. And that's when I saw it in her eyes, desire. But desire to see what?

She was about to say something when my trainer called me. "Sturniolo enough flirting, you have to get ready, but quickly. Come on."
I looked at him and then back at her.
"You should go." She said and put on a smile.

I walked towards the cabins but turned to her again and said: "The conversation is not over yet."

Inside the cabin I met Jer, who was already sitting next to my locker, ready to go. Then I had an idea, maybe I could get closer to her through him, because they were dating.

"Eyo Jer." I said,
"What's up, Chris?" he asked. I changed my clothes.
"Since we're both dating, let's go on a double date together." I said and he looked at me in surprise.

"She didn't tell you?" He asked.
"What?" He screwed up his face in confusion. "Me and Lori aren't dating anymore. For almost a month and a half."

I looked at him in surprise.
They weren't dating anymore? Why didn't she just tell me that? But it made sense. Why she had been crying. Why she was pushing me away.

"Why?" I asked him. He smiled and shook his head.
"That's for her to tell you."
"Okay" I said and gave him a side eye. I had a strange feeling about this.
...
We lost the game by a narrow margin. I was too distracted by what Jeremy had told me, by Jess cheering me on, by her watching me from the stands.

As soon as I was changed I ran to her, she was standing alone with Nick by the car.
"Sorry Nick, but I need to talk to her." I said and pulled her away from Nick by her hand.

She looked at me confused.
"Why didn't you tell me that you and Jeremy broke up?"
"We were never together."
"You know what I mean." She sighed.
"I didn't think it was important."
" NOT IMPORTANT? Everything else is not unimportant but that is important. Why did you stop dating?" I looked at her asking.

Say it's me, I thought, but I quickly put that thought aside, I had Jess. But I wanted it, I wanted it to be me because she still loved me.

"It didn't fit." She answered and all hope for the answer I wanted went out. That was not what I wanted to hear.
"It didn't work out?" I asked.
"Yes, it didn't feel right." She said but her look screamed 'because he's not like you' but I was sure I was imagining it.
..
When we got home Matt and I went to take a shower before the girls arrived. Jess was coming too, Lori had insisted that she come to our movie Friday.

I didn't understand why she wanted that so much, she wanted that more than I did. She came first and we sat on the sofa. "Nick? What are you doing on March 10?" she asked.

"That's in two weeks, I don't know. Why?" asked Nick and Matt and I gave each other a questioning look, we kept listening.

"It's my mom's wedding, I don't want to go alone and I said I'd bring someone. Matt is with Amber and Chris is with Jess so that just leaves you."

"Nice to know I'm your last choice, plus I'm gay" he said ironically with a laugh.

"I'm not with Jess." I said. "Just to be clear."

"Okay then, let me correct myself, Amber is with Matt and Chris is dating Jessica. I know you're gay, but I can't just show up with a taken man."

She said and had to grin. He pretended to think, which he didn't really because he would never let her down. "Alright, I'll come with you."

I looked at her, she was happy. I smiled and thought about what would have happened if she hadn't left 2 years ago. Then maybe I would be the person she goes to the wedding with and it hurt to think about it.