𝟏𝟓

< 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐒 >
"What's my name then?"

ALL MY LIFE, I had been controlled by something— someone

ALL MY LIFE, I had been controlled by something— someone. My mom. The warehouse. Madam President. There was never a moment where I felt I knew who I was. Everything about my identity was carefully cultivated by someone else.

"You're finally awake." I hear Keigo call out. "You want to guess how long you were out?"

My body was still extremly sore from the blood loss. I was barely able to move myself. Just moving my head was tiring enough. Even so, I still did my best. "A day?"

"Multiply that by seven." He says, situating himself at the end of my bed. "Doctors said you should be dead considering how much blood you loss. Thank god for your inhumane body."

I gaze at my bandaged arms, reminiscing on my childhood. Thank god, huh.

"You feeling alright? Stable? I brought pork buns to cheer you up." He smiles, waving the fresh, steaming hot bag of food in my face.

I smiled back, touched from his sweet efforts, but there was still something on my mind that made me hesitant. "Keigo."

His smile immediately drops. The sound of his full name being called out made his heart weary. "Yeah?"

"My name..." I start, feeling anxious to continue. "My name...Miyako. The one you chose. What's the real story behind it."

The dream, or more accurately, the memory, I had while unconscious left an uncomfortable taste on my tongue. Like someone had locked it away all these years, and the blood loss miraculously brought them back.

He takes a big gulp, deciding how he should approach the matter. "It's your real name. The one you chose."

"Me? Not mom or...you?"

"Yeah. Mom didn't care enough to pick out a name, and I didn't trust myself to do it. I was five at the time. And when I finally got old enough to give you a name, the commission got to me. I don't know what happened in between, but when we were reunited, you introduced yourself as Miyako to me."

I stared down in disbelief. "How could I have no memory of all this? This isn't something people just forget."

"I...don't know. People forget things. Especially when you're young. This is the case for a lot of kids in the commissions hero program."

"Why didn't you forget?"

"Don't know. I guess...I was more aware of what I got myself into."

"Why didn't you remind me about my name from the start then?"

"I figured I shouldn't confuse you anymore. You spent years as Illusion. Just illusion."

I didn't know what to say. How could I live all these years never knowing my name. What happened?