Part 52 Sneak Peek

I thought I owed you guys a little snippet since I was gone for so long. It was my intention to get the chapter out this weekend but I've been having too much fun offline and am way behind--I hope you enjoy this in the meantime!

Eve's brow furrowed as Joe declined her Facetime call twice; checking the time on her watch to make sure she hadn't possibly gotten the time wrong and called during a meeting or practice. Noting that it was their normal afternoon call time, she was in the middle of texting Joe when he finally called her, his voice low.

"Hi, sorry about that. It was loud in here," Joe panted. "Where are you? You sound out of breath," Eve asked. "I'm at Sam's house. We were in the pool and then...a friend of his came over. I mean, my friend. O-our friend," Joe stuttered.

Mashing her lips together, Eve cocked her head to the side and strained to hear him over the music in the background. "What friend is it? And why are you acting weird?" She heard the sound of Joe walking around the patio and she could picture him standing by Sam's grill overlooking the deck.

"I'm not acting weird! I was just kind of dozing on his couch and then forgot what time it was," Joe replied. He's lying, Eve thought to herself, why would he lie about what he was doing? "You said you were in the pool but now you said you were asleep on his couch–what's going on?"

Cursing under his breath, Joe ran a hand over his face and was gnawing on the inside of his cheek when all of the sudden Eve heard the unmistakable sound of a woman laughing near him. "Joe, who is there with you? Let me see," Eve said with more edge than she intended. "No one is here. What are you talking about?"

"Joe, you Facetime me right now and show me who is there with you." Exhaling deeply, Joe looked towards the pool at the woman who was now splashing around wildly and rolled his eyes. "Fine, I will. I don't want you to throw a shit fit though. You've got to believe me when I say I didn't mean for this to happen Evie."