Part 14

Eve and Joe made love for hours before she finally made them take a shower and go to sleep. Joe couldn't fall asleep though; the excitement of their new phase and what it meant for the future energizing him like a little kid on Christmas. He watched her doze for a while, smiling at the way she still slept on her face like she did for years, her muffled snores finally lulling him to sleep.

Right on cue at around 6:30AM, Joe had the same dream about her he'd been having for months; Eve crawling up his body and taking him in her mouth while he squirmed. Something was different this time though, and as he slowly roused himself from the deep sleep he'd fallen into, he realized that he hadn't been dreaming.

Joe's eyes widened as he took in the sight of Eve sucking on the tip of his cock, her hands gripping his thighs. She increased her suction when she noticed Joe was awake, pulling off his dick with a 'pop'. " 'Morning Daddy," she smirked, winking at him as she took him back in her mouth all the way. Joe's eyes rolled back into his head when he felt his dick hit the back of her throat, a loud moan escaping from his lips.

Tracing the vein on the underside of his member, Eve slurped and sucked Joe into oblivion until she felt his thighs tense up beneath her. Joe couldn't hold on any longer and he grunted as he coated her throat and mouth with his release; Eve quickly devouring every drop.

She giggled while she kissed her way up Joe's body, his chest heaving as she rested her chin on his pec. "That fucking mouth," Joe growled, pulling Eve in for a kiss. "Still the best?" She asked cheekily. "Absolutely," Joe whispered, nuzzling Eve's nose with his.

"So, I have a request, and I don't want you to say no right away," Eve grinned. "After that wake up call, whatever it is: sure," Joe laughed. "Okay, so you're fine if I plan a little dinner at your house for your birthday next week," Eve mused. "Nope," Joe said, shaking his head. Joe hated being the center of attention and he despised his birthday.

"Joe. Don't be like that. Please let me do something for you," Eve pleaded as she sat up. Joe rolled his eyes as he sighed, his brain too foggy to put up much of a fight. "Fine. But I want fewer than 10 people in my house, and I don't want you spending any money on gifts. And no more than $75 dollars on decorations," Joe warned.

"I promise, I won't," Eve saluted, leaning forward for a kiss. They stayed in bed for a while longer before Eve had to head to the office, making plans to meet up later for dinner. She was working on the guest list for Joe's birthday when Clara knocked on her door.

"Sorry to interrupt, I have a woman on the phone who says she's a friend of Joe's and that she was referred to you? I told her you don't do personal litigation anymore and that we only take cases referred from legal aid, but she said it was important."

"Did she give a name?" Eve was distracted as she typed out a message to Joe's Mom. "The connection is really bad-it sounded like her name was Deanna? Maybe Lana?" Clara looked sheepish as she grimaced.

"Do me a favor and create an intake form for her; can you call Joe and ask him who she is? If he gave her my number it must be important." Eve jotted down Joe's number on a post-it and handed it to Clara.

Eve quickly forgot about the call, and didn't remember it until the afternoon of Joe's party later that week. "Oh! I totally keep forgetting to mention this to you-did Clara call you?" Eve asked as she set out the appetizers.

"Yeah but I was at practice and I forgot to call her back, what did need?" Joe yelled from his closet. "A friend of yours called the office asking for an appointment with me-I think her name was Anna or Lana or something similar," Eve called out.

Joe's eyes shot up from the sneakers he was lacing as his stomach churned. What the fuck. Every time he thought he'd dodged Lana for the last time, she popped up like a masochistic game of Whack-a-Mole. He ran a hand through his hair as he scrambled for a response.

"Oh, uh, that's weird. I'll reach out to her, I think she called you accidentally. She needs an attorney for traffic court." Joe felt sick as yet another lie so easily tumbled out of his mouth. Traffic court? That isn't even a good one Burrow.

"Okay! Well, if she needs help, I'd be happy to sit down with her," Eve said as she snaked her arms around Joe's waist, causing him to jump. "Sorry, I didn't hear you come up the stairs," he apologized. "You can come downstairs now," Eve smiled.

Joe pushed the thought of Lana out of his mind temporarily as he walked down into the living room, cracking up as he saw the decor. Eve had taken his orders regarding the budget seriously, and he was met with the only Spongebob-themed party he'd ever had.

"I cannot believe you did this," Joe laughed, putting on one of the bright yellow party hats. "You gave me instructions and I followed them," Eve giggled. "You've always been a good girl for me," Joe beamed, his hands traveling down to her ass. "Happy Birthday Joe. I'm glad I'm here for this one," Eve murmured, pulling him down for a kiss.

The doorbell rang shortly thereafter and soon people were arriving in droves. Eve had invited Joe's parents, a handful of teammates, and his best friends from Athens, each one of them ecstatic to see Eve back in the fray.

"Did we call this or did we call this?" Sam asked Christine, nodding towards Joe and Eve dancing by themselves in the kitchen. "Boy did we," Christine replied, raising her glass to clink Sam's. "I think this is it. Give it a few more months and I think he's going to propose this time," Sam whispered. "Wait, really? Did he say something to you?" Christine's eyes were as big as saucers as she leaned in. "I cannot confirm nor deny," Sam shrugged, sipping his beer.

Eve was in the middle of a deep conversation with Joe's Mom when Amanda made a beeline for Joe. "We need to talk," she hissed, motioning towards the patio. Joe looked around to make sure Eve was distracted before quickly following Amanda outside.

"Joe, this stuff with Lana is serious. She's sounding crazier and crazier," Amanda muttered, wringing her hands. "Yeah, I'm aware. She showed up at my hotel in Arizona and Eve told me earlier that she called her office posing as a friend of mine," Joe croaked. "Wait, she showed up at your hotel? I told her in the hallway at State Farm that she needed to go home!"

"What do you mean you told her in the hallway-did she show up at the game?" Joe's face drained of color as Amanda recalled the whole incident, his brain spinning while Amanda detailed the increasingly concerning behavior she'd noticed in Lana.

"I hate to say this but you need to get a restraining order. I'm serious. It's only a matter of time before she comes back to Ohio." Amanda's face was full of regret as she looked at Joe, guilt sweeping over her for ever introducing the two.

"Okay. I'll talk to my agent. He can coordinate it." Joe was resigned to the fact that Lana wasn't going to go away easily, and he was out of options at this point. "You also need to tell Eve. It's time for her to know what's going on," Amanda warned.

"Tell Eve what?" Joe and Amanda were startled at the sound of Eve's cheery voice behind them. "Oh, tell you about the tailgate for the Cleveland game. All of the wives and girlfriends are hosting a big one since it's the clincher," Amanda quickly replied, saving Joe from another lie.

"That sounds fun. I'll check my calendar," Eve smiled, "but right now it's time for the Birthday Boy to cut his Krabby Patty cake!" Joe took Eve's hand as she led him inside the dimly lit dining room where everyone surrounded his illuminated cake.

He tried to ignore the sense of dread bubbling beneath the surface as the group sang to him, watching as Joe made a wish and blew out his candles. He'd wished for a happy, healthy life with Eve, but he couldn't shake the feeling that what he should wish for was protection from the dark force lurking in the shadows.