couch naps

I've been working on so many drafts sooooooo.... enjoy!!!!

Shopping bags hanging from each of her arms, and mail from the mail box clutched in her grip, Rachel hurried up the endless flights of stairs that lead to her apartment. she grunted tiredly, finally reaching the landing of her floor. muttering irritated obscenities, she fished through her purse, finally pulling out the house keys.

Many things had changed about Rachel since she had first moved to the city and started living with Monica. For starters, she wasn't stuck up anymore, someone who relied solely on her fathers money to survive. cutting those credit cards with her fathers name on them was truly the best choice she had ever made (even though it made her feel faint in the moment.)

She now had a steady job at Ralph Lauren that she genuinely enjoyed going to each morning, and fully provided for herself. And, since being welcomed into their close knit friend group, had a strong appreciation for those who supported her genuinely.

But one thing about her that never changed? Her  shopping addiction.

she unlocked the front door, sighing as she deposited the half a dozen bags onto the floor. her arms ached as she stretched them out, interlacing her fingers together and cracking her knuckles. she figured that she must've walked at least 20 blocks with the bags in tow, and while it was excellent exercise, her arms felt painfully sore from the weight of the baggage, and her feet ached from the heels she had mindlessly slipped into.

Closing the front door, she slumped against it, out of breath from the hike up. She opened her eyes which had previously been closed, and took in the apartment.

Scanning the seemingly empty apartment, her eyes stopped on the couch. She was unsure if she was now seeing things or if the top of Chandlers head was peeking out from the top of the couch.

It would make sense actually. The apartment was eerily quiet and Monica's bedroom door was wide open. Plus, she spotted Monica's favorite pair of black UGG slippers that she always wore across when walking across the hall, so Rachel had estimated that Monica was home.

Those damn UGG slippers. they were gorgeous and soft and expensive and just one of many of Chandlers Christmas presents for her. Rachel had been violently jealous as Monica continued to unwrap box after box from him on Christmas day. Perfumes and jewelry and bath salts and, to top it off, a card that was so heartfelt it even made Rachel tear up just the tiniest bit.

she cleared her throat, shaking the envy from her brain, taking a few steps further into the apartment, A peacefully sleeping Monica and Chandler now came into view.

Chandlers body was draped against Monica's, his back to the cushions, his arms holding her back against his chest so that she wouldn't fall off the edge of the couch. Chandler had a blanket wrapped around his waist, the upper half of his body bare. Monica was wrapped in a sheet that laid tucked underneath her armpits. His face was hurried in her hair, Monica's hand reaching back and cupping his jawline.

Pillows laid strewn about on the floor, infront of the couch and a few laid behind the couch, clearly from being flung carelessly by either of them in an attempt to clear the surface of the couch. the tv was on mute, flipped to a random news channel that was covering the whether for the week in the tri-state area.

They looked peaceful, she noticed. both of them seemingly calmer than they had ever appeared before. Monica and Chandler were both the happiest either of them had ever been. Rachel could even see that it was different then what her and Ross had. Her and Ross were rocky and never quite made it past the honeymoon phase (until they did and it all went to shit).

And even though her and Ross had dated for around a year and Monica and Chandler were only on month 7, they had already fallen into this kind of domestic bliss that her and Ross had never quite achieved. had they tried? desperately. and maybe that was what ruined it. Monica and Chandler never seemed to try to make themselves work, they just did.

she had a feeling that this thing between Monica and Chandler wasn't going to end anytime soon. Rachel could even picture them getting married, a thought that made her jealousy come right back.

"Rach?" Monica's voice rasped sleepily. "Why are you watching us sleep?"

Rachel blinked a couple of times, then began to sputter, "I-I mean come on!" she exclaimed. " you two are naked on the couch." Rachel ended her sentence defensively, walking back over to the doorway to retrieve her bags coming from Barneys and Bloomingdale's and Macys.

"she's right." Chandlers voice chimed in, speaking in such a low hum that Rachel had to pause everything just to distinguish his words. he sounded just as tired as she did.

"Sorry Rach," Monica rubbed her eyes. "We didn't make it to the bedroom."

"Gross," Rachel shivered. "didn't ask."

Monica rolled her eyes at Rachel's short reply.

Monica pushed up, rubbing her eyes and folding the sheet so that it stayed wrapped around her body. "What'd you get?" she asked, standing and making her way into the kitchen. Chandler remained dozing.

"the real question is what didn't I get?" Rachel hummed, smiling, always glad to talk about her purchases. "A sweater, a new pair of jeans, two bangles from Barney's. etcétera etcétera."

"magazines?" Monica asked, stifling a yawn.

"The newsstand didn't have anything new. I'll check again tomorrow." Rachel answered, collecting her bags and running them into her bedroom.

Monica turned back to the couch and smiled seeing Chandlers hair all ruffled up.

"Go sleep sweetie," she hummed softly, leaning over the back of the couch to attempt to smooth his hair down.

"I'm fine here." he mumbled, frowning when she removed her hand from his head.

"Rachel's back, go put on a shirt if you're going to nap out here." she instructed, glancing to her roommates bedroom door.

"Fine," he sat up, securing the blanket around his waist. "Oh I called your mom and told her we wouldn't be able to make it to dinner tonight," Chandler remembered.

"Thank god," Moncia slumped into the large armchair next to the couch. "Was she angry?"

"Don't know," Chandler shrugged, standing from the couch, heading toward her bedroom. "I hung up."

At that thought, Monica laughed until her sides ached.

"What happened?" Rachel asked, heading to the fridge and grabbing a diet sprite. Rachel would drink any soda Monica bought, just as long as it was diet.

"We were supposed to have dinner with my parents tonight." Monica nodded to Chandler who was now shuffling toward Monica's bedroom.

"She had a meltdown about it this morning." Chandler chimed in before disappearing into Monica's bedroom.

"It was not a meltdown!" Monica bit out defensively, calling after him. "But yeah basically a freak out. I just couldn't deal with my mother today."

Rachel nodded, understanding perfectly. she had known Jack and Judy from the time she was ten, she knew exactly how overbearing Monica's mom could be, and how passive her dad could be.

Before Rachel could comment, Chandler peaked his head out of her bedroom door. he had a sweatshirt on now as well as pajama pants. it was noon on a Sunday.

"You coming to bed with me?" he called to Monica.

It was a silly question, judging by the expression on Monica's face and her history of the constant need to snuggle with him. But he asked it anyway. Chandler enjoyed the certainty Monica would give him with her answers. He grinned when she scoffed like it was a dumb question, but there was something that struck him like a match to tinder when she always responded with something like "always", or managed to reference their relationship.

Particularly if she couched it as a joke. she was begging to sound like him. There was something so very Monica about the way she intoned "am I coming to my own bed to lie down with my boyfriend?" that made him ecstatic with pride. And the fact he never knew which part of the phase she was going to emphasise reminded him just how lucky he was.

Monica turned back to Rachel, "I have to—"

"Go honey I get it." Rachel replied kindly, never one to get in the way of a relationship.

Monica grinned, hopping up and bouncing over to her bedroom.