bonus chapter 1

BELLY
8 YEARS AGO

Belly is pacing in front of the door anxiously.

"Calm down, bug." Laurel says quietly from the other room.

Belly sighs, "I can't relax."

"You've been out with him before, right?"

I roll my eyes, "That was years ago, Mom. We're different."

"You're still Conrad and Belly."

There's a soft knock on the door and Belly's heart skips a beat. She's momentarily speechless when she opens the door. Conrad looks very handsome, his hair is shaggier than usual, his eyes seem extra blue in his navy blue pullover.

"Hi," Belly breathes.

Conrad grins, "Hi. Is Laurel here?"

Belly nods, "Yes. Come on in,"

Conrad follows Belly into the family room. "Mom, Conrad is here."

Conrad smiles brightly, "Hey Laur."

Belly watches her mom open her arms wide and stand on her tip toes to hug Conrad. "Hi Connie."

They have a conversation that's so quiet, Belly can't hear a word.

Conrad turns around to look at Belly after a few seconds, "You ready?"

Belly nods. Conrad takes her hand on the way out, which sends electric currents down her arm. "Bye Laur, I'll have her home by 12!"

Belly rolls her eyes, "I'm 21, I can be out later than that."

Conrad chuckles, "I don't care how old you are, I'm not about to piss Laurel off."

Conrad opens the door for her and she climbs into the unfamiliar car. It's new, and still smells like it too.

"When did you get this?" She asks as soon as he's climbed in next to her.

He starts the car, "A few weeks ago actually."

Belly smiles, "It's nice."

Conrad pulls out of the driveway, "So, how does it feel to be a college graduate?"

"Weird. I still feel too young to have to do adult things."

Conrad chuckles, "That takes a while to get used to."

"Have you gotten used to it yet?"

"No, but I'm still in school."

Belly nods. "How is that going?"

"Good. Med school is hard, and I'm even more nervous to start my residency next year but it is what it is."

"I can't believe you're going to be a doctor."

"Me either."

Belly looks over at him. He has one hand on the wheel and the other resting on the center console. Belly carefully moves her hand to his and laces their fingers together.