thirty-five

BELLY

It's Sunday night, Crew has been with them for less than two days. Matt and Henry were thrilled, it was like having a sleepover for them. All weekend Conrad and Belly had been trading knowing glances.

"DCFS is supposed to be here at 9," Belly says quietly.

They are laying in bed together, both staring at the fan turn circles on the ceiling.

Conrad lets out a loud sigh, "We can't let him go into the system, Bells."

"I know," Belly responds.

"So what do we do?" Conrad asks.

Belly doesn't know. Two days ago, she had no idea he was in trouble and now they have Crew.

"I don't know, talk to his social worker tomorrow morning about fostering him until Taylor is back on her feet?"

Conrad turns his body to face her, "What if Taylor doesn't end up on her feet?"

"I don't know, let's cross that bridge when we come to it."

"Okay," Conrad says softly.

"Thank you," Belly turns to face him.

"For what?" Conrad pushed a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Just being you," Belly sighs, "This is my friend and now we're dealing with the consequences."

"Belly, Crew didn't do anything wrong. He's the innocent one here, not a consequence. And from what I can tell so far, he's a really good kid."

"How do you do that?" Belly asks, her eyebrows knitting together.

"Do what?" Conrad strokes her cheek with his thumb.

"Just make everything better,"

Conrad rolls his eyes, "No, I don't."

"You do," Belly assures, "We'll get through this."

"Of course we will. We're us," Conrad leans forward to kiss her.

This weekend has been so stressful, and Belly needs to let some of it go. They hardly slept Friday or Saturday night and while all she wants to do is close her eyes, she needs to be with her husband.

"What?" Conrad whispers.

"Are you up for trying to get me pregnant?"

Conrad raises his eyebrows, "Tonight?"

Belly nods, "Yes."

Conrad is already pulling her onto his chest, "You don't have to ask me twice."

Monday morning rolls around and Conrad cancels his patients. Belly puts on a nice black pencil dress, trying to look professional as possible. Conrad dresses like he would for work, dress pants and a button down shirt.

Belly is standing in the mirror, finishing her makeup, "I don't think we're set up to be foster parents, they might take him while we figure out paperwork."