forty

BELLY

The week after the Jason incident is big because Shayla has the grand opening of her boutique — Conklin Designs, and the gala is happening.

Belly feels chaotic all week, like no matter what she does, she can't seem to get her head on straight. She's trying to finalize the headcount for dinner while Shayla calls her frantically about something she forgot to do. On top of it, they are living in constant fear or Crew being taken from them while trying to keep a brave face on for the kids.

Belly's exhausted, but by the time the night of the grand opening comes around, she's ready to let off a little steam. She even got a babysitter overnight so they could stay at a hotel and have a night alone.

Belly softly curls her hair, and puts on her makeup. She steps into a pair black strappy of Jimmy Choo's and a black pencil dress that Shayla made for her. It has a square neckline with thicker straps, and hugs her body all the way down to her mid-calf. Conrad looks devilishly handsome in his suit too.

They leave early, head to the hotel to check-in and then get a cab to the boutique. Belly shouldn't be surprised by the crowd that has amassed outside the doors, but she is.

"Is this all for Shayla?" Conrad asks, helping her out of the car.

"You know Shayla," Belly slides her hand into his and they walk through the crowd of people.

Shayla and Steven are talking to a few of the gatherers when they walk up. Shayla looks like something out of a movie. Her hair is swept into a loose bun at the nape of her neck, she has on a set of pearls and a white jumpsuit that flatters her bump perfectly. She's so big now.

"Well aren't you a dream?" Belly says, kissing Shayla's cheek.

"Stop it," Shayla gushes while she hugs Conrad, "Thank you for coming. This means the world."

"We wouldn't have missed it," Conrad smiles and hugs Steven.

"Go inside! You're the first ones here, but there's food and drinks." Shayla ushers them into the building.

It's absolutely stunning. White balloons hang from the exposed wood beams, small white twinkle lights hang in parallel rows across the entire store, there's a flower wall in the very back filled with different kinds of flowers, all white of course, and there's a neon sign hanging from it that reads, "Conklin Designs"

"This is incredible," Belly says as she takes a glass of champagne from a waiter.

Conrad nods, asking for a beer, "Yes it is."

They walk around quietly, watching Shayla talk to a few reporters and admiring her clothes.

Around 7:30, people have finished filtering in, the place is absolutely packed and Belly is standing up against Conrad, her back completely pressed against his chest because there's nowhere else to stand.

Shayla walks through the crowd and up to the center of the room, "Hello!" Her voice fills the room and captures everyone's attention.

"I just want to thank you all for coming. This is an absolute dream for me, and I can't imagine doing it without each and every one of you. So please, drink and enjoy yourselves!"