The King

"You have the sword?" he asked, disbelief shimmering in his grey eyes, the colour was washed off by time, his hair had long turned white.
    "Yes, your majesty, I don't fail." It wasn't bragging, just an observation.
    "I hope so," he said, but there wasn't hope in his voice. He was... scared? "That was a test" he continued talking, "I have a real Job for you," Now I'm listening. "My youngest son, Ash, he got..." the king drew a long breath, "my youngest son Ash... he got... kidnapped." He stumbled over his words, like a kid, real fear growing in him. "I want you rescue him."
    "Do you know who kidnapped him?" My filthy heart had smelt money, so much I could build a house of it and still have enough to never move a finger again.
    "Yes," the king said, and I could've hugged him "Mark Thantov." Now I could've killed him.
    "No," I said, "I don't intervene with Thantov." At least not now.
    "You just stole his sword." I let out a sharp breath
"That's something else." I knew it wasn't, but you cross Thantov's path once you die, you cross his path twice, you also die, but your death will be more painful than a swarm of bees stabbing you with their little swords, it's not pretty, so much I can tell.
    "Fine," I heard myself saying, as if I had a death- wish, "but I want the sword, and your little baby- prince." If I would die, I could at least die as a gorgeous princess on her horse, rescuing the prince.
    "You want the prince?" the king asked, confused.
    "Yes, your majesty, I want your son, to marry him, that's a term you're familiar with, right?" I answered, enjoying the confusion growing to a mixture of anger and disgust.
    "You're a criminal, what makes you think I would l give you the hand of my youngest son?" Oh how I love this prickle of power. "Because you need me, if any of your royal ass-crawlers could've done the job, I wouldn't be here." I was right, of course.
    "And what do you want the sword for?" I looked at him, and simply said, "Because I want to look freaking hot, when I walk into Thantov's well- protected cave." It wasn't the truth, obviously, I'm a criminal, criminals don't speak truth, but why should I let the king know, that his future daughter-in-law is fascinated by her own flashbacks, that she wants to trigger them, whenever she isn't in a live-or-die situation.
    And he doesn't need to know that she is very capable of using the power the ruby-sword holds. The Power that can raise an army, an army of wolves, teeth like daggers, eyes like flames, fur coloured a dark ruby colour, the colour of blood, my colour.
    "Do we have a deal?" I ask, tensed. "Or should I crawl back in my bed, and leave your little prince in the hands of a monster?" I saw the glimpse of anger in his eyes - who am I, that I dare to talk this way with a king? But he knew, I'm the only way of getting his son back.