JEALOUSY

It had been a year since Jane’s first encounter with Jeremiah at her favorite spot at Dexpensive Restaurant. Jane’s involvement with The Liberation Sisterhood was no longer news as she had already opened up to Jeremiah, who wholeheartedly forgave her . Jeremiah’s family had gotten fond of Jane, and Jane’s friend, Folashade had gotten a promotion at work and she had also gotten married. Mother Liberation kept to her promise by offering her support and protection. Though, a large number of The Sisterhood were against her decision, they couldn’t do anything as they understood the penalty of betraying the commands of Mother Liberation. Jane’s blissful relationship with Jeremiah was an envy to The Sisterhood but nevertheless, they pushed towards their ultimate goal- The Cause. Jane got her underground therapy practice legalized and counseled woman who suffered dilemmas.

     Sitting gracefully on a cushioned chair in Dexpensive Restaurant, Jeremiah’s demeanor exuded confidence. He wore a tailored black suit and held a glass of water, while waiting for his queen- Jane.
     As the entrance door swung open, a vision of elegance and grace glided into the restaurant. Dressed in an exquisite ensemble, Jane’s floor-length gown, a breathtaking shade of midnight blue, exuded an aura of tasteful beauty. She walked towards Jeremiah with a blue purse in her hands, and he pulled out the chair for her to sit.
     “Hmm… What an act of chivalry,” Jane took her seat.
“It’s the least I can do, my queen,” Jeremiah took his seat.
“Good evening,” Jane greeted.
“Evening. How was your day?” Jeremiah inquired.
“It was hectic, got a lot of clients today. So what’s the purpose of this? If I may ask,” Jane said.
“You could have at least asked how my day went,” Jeremiah smiled.
“Oh sorry, my king. My bad. So how was it?” Jane asked.
“It was fantastic… Nobody died,” Jeremiah licked his lips.
“You look handsome, by the way,” Jane complimented.
“I always look handsome,” Jeremiah retorted. “You look good… Wish I could take you home right now,” Jeremiah added.
“Do you want to marry me, young man?” Jane asked jokingly.
Jeremiah chuckled.
     Fola appeared with a note and a pen. She began, “Good evening, sir and good evening, ma’am. I’m here to take your orders, if you don’t mind.”
“If its not the new manager. What are you still doing taking orders?” Jane laughed slightly.
“Normally, I’d just sit on my ergonomic chair and enjoy the air conditioning, but since it’s my favorite couple, I’m the only one that understands your needs,” Fola answered.
“Oh, its an honor to have you here then,” Jeremiah said.
“Since this big man over here has stopped me from taking wine, please, orange juice,” Jane requested.
“You say what? Who stopped you?” Jeremiah raised his eyebrows.
Jane winked and whispered, “that’s the same order.”
“I’ll be back shortly,” Fola returned to the counter.
“You have a problem,” Jeremiah remarked.
“Says someone that came to a restaurant to take a glass of water,” Jane retorted.
Jeremiah burst into laughter.
“You’re a savage now?” Jeremiah asked playfully.
“You want to go?” Jane folded her hands.
“Nah, I won’t do that. Can’t afford being your next client,” Jeremiah joked.
Jane laughed.
      Fola returned with a tray of orange juice. She carefully dispensed them on the table and said, “If you need anything, just signal me.” She took her leave.
“That lady hasn’t changed,” Jeremiah commented.
“Not in the slightest,” Jane sipped her juice. “She has been like that ever since she relocated here,” Jane added.
“Her husband must be a lucky man,” Jeremiah took a sip of his juice.
“You have no idea,” Jane muttered.
     Jeremiah stood up, extended his hand to Jane, and demanded, “Follow me.”
“Okay…” Jane took a hold of his arm.
     Both personalities walked to the rooftop to get a glimpse of the colorful city. A sound system was seated at the edge of the rooftop.
     “This sight will forever remain beautiful to me,” Jane said.
“Me too,” Jeremiah concurred. “Jane, we’ve been together for quite some time now. Your family and mine seem to be cool. Every time we have a conversation, I’m always thrown into a realm of peace. We left so much behind just so we could be together. I don’t know whether the issue with your blood pressure was designed by God, but I’m glad it happened. Jane, I’m tired of waking up alone in the morning, and I’m sincerely tired of spending my weekends alone. I believe in progress, and I don’t like staying in one stage for too long. Jane, would you-“ Jeremiah knelt down.
“Yes! I will marry you,” Jane interrupted, with a tear dropping down her cheek. “I’ve been waiting since forever for you to pop this question,” she cried.
     Jeremiah carefully unwrapped the diamond ring and slid it onto Jane’s finger. Then, he stood up, tenderly held her by the waist, and shared an intimate kiss, with Jane’s hands gently wrapped around his neck.
     Jeremiah turned on the sound system, filling the air with a cool and melodious song. He joyfully danced with Jane throughout the entire night.

     In a dimly lit cozy living room, adorned with traditional Edo artwork and colorful fabrics, the atmosphere was saturated with joy as Jeremiah’s family gathered nervously. The room buzzed with conversation and laughter, mingled with the sweet aroma of traditional delicacies.
     At the center of the room, Jeremiah, the groom, stood tall and confident with his heart pounding with excitement and nervousness. Beside him, his parents, Mr. Chidozie Daniel, and Mrs. Ifedimma Daniel, beamed with joy. His two siblings, Ebere and Chidi, were busy feeding their stomachs.
     Clod in vibrant Edo attires, Jane’s family walked in and silence filled the room. The elders led the way followed by Jane, who was sparkled with happiness and a hint of shyness.
     Elders from both families exchanged pleasantries and Jeremiah’s father expressed his gratitude to Jane’s family for allowing his son mingle with Jane. The elders, Jane’s father, the groom, and Jeremiah father’s walked into an enclosed room for a lighthearted discussion.
     “I wonder what they’re discussing in there,” Chidi said with meat in his mouth.
“Something kids like you aren’t supposed to know,” Ebere replied.
“Even if they give me the opportunity, I won’t go in. Can’t imagine hearing a million as a bride price,” Chidi joked.
“You’ll pay that million someday,” Mrs. Daniel smirked.
Chidi scoffed and said, “That’s if I ever get married.” He left to go get more meat.
“What is wrong with that boy?” Mrs. Daniel asked.
“He’s just heartbroken because his girlfriend broke up with him,” Ebere whispered.
“I never liked that girl anyways,” Mrs. Daniel commented.
“Guess God answered your prayers,” Ebere joined Chidi.
     With the formalities completed, the room erupted in jubilation and the sound of traditional music filled the air as everyone danced joyously, celebrating the coming together of both families.

     Two weeks after Jane’s introduction, wedding cards were dispersed, and one of them was sent to The Sisterhood.
     Mary sat on a chair, facing the window with a glass of red wine nearby when Esosa slammed Jane’s invitation card on the table.
     “What is the meaning of this?” Esosa yelled angrily.
     Mary turned, saw the invitation, and returned back to her view. “In case you don’t know what it is, it’s a wedding card. Seems one of our old sisters wants to get married.”
“Have you gone mad?” Esosa yelled. “You broke The Sisterhood’s law by letting Jane go and now, you’re letting her do a wedding?” Esosa continued.
“Point of correction, I didn’t break any law. I only amended the law I created,” Mary sipped her wine.
“Have you forgotten what you did to the others who tried to leave The Sisterhood?” Esosa questioned.
“Need I remind you, I am the superior, and no one has the right to question my judgment?” Mary counter-questioned, facing Esosa with a stern look.
“Superior, my foot! You didn’t let those women who wanted out many years ago breathe. You hunted their every step and you made life miserable for them!” Esosa spoke boldly.
“I did that because they didn’t seek my consent before leaving. Jane did, and I concurred. Should I remind you that you have no rights to talk to me abruptly? Or should I remind you that I picked you up from the streets when your husband left you?” Mary’s eyes widened.
Esosa scoffed and said in a defiant tone, “That is what you say to every one of us, and I’m sick of hearing it. Yes, I agree you dusted me up, but I made this society what it is today. While you laid back to sip wine, I opened branches, recruited sisters, and took care of betrayers. I literally built The Sisterhood.”
Mary took some steps towards Esosa and yelled, “You’re suspended!”
“Suspended? I should be the one suspending you! Or have you forgotten that I control The Sisterhood? Many branches don’t know who you are, and since you’ve gotten soft, they don’t fear you! They fear me! I can obliterate you from existence,” Esosa raised her chest.
Mary gave Esosa a violent slap and yelled, “Leave my presence this instance, or I’ll do something you and I will both regret.”
Esosa placed her right hand on her cheek and said, “You said you love everyone of us equally, but that was a lie. Your favorite was Jane.”
     Esosa spat on the ground and stormed away from Mary’s presence.