DIAGNOSED

Jane opened her eyes and immediately realized she was in a hospital. Close to her bed, stood an intravenous bag that administered liquid through a catheter into her veins. As she tried to fathom what was going on, she looked round the room.
     The white walls reflected the fluorescent light overhead, casting a sterile glow throughout the room. The faint hum of medical equipment created a constant background noise, underscoring the gravity of the setting. The hospital bed, that laid at the center of the room, had an adjustable headrest and side rails to accommodate Jane. On the wall, a digital monitor displayed Jane’s vital signs in real-time. Soft white curtains adorned the window, allowing filtered light to seep in. A medium-sized television was hung on the wall- just opposite the hospital bed. Arranged strategically throughout the room were comfortable chairs to accommodate visitors. One corner of the room was dedicated to medical equipment. The hospital room was decorated to pass one message- hope.
     Dressed in a crisp white lab coat, Jeremiah walked in with a stethoscope draped around his neck and a penlight in his pocket.
     “Look who’s awake. Good morning,” Jeremiah smiled.
“How did I get here?” Jane adjusted her body.
“That question should go to your friend who works at the restaurant I saw you in yesterday,” Jeremiah examined her eyes with his penlight. “Do you remember anything?” Jeremiah asked, standing upright.
“Barely. The only thing I remember is me getting into my house and taking a sip of wine,” Jane answered.
“According to your friend, she tried calling you a few times and you didn’t pick up. She said you hardly ignore her calls, so she decided to check up on you. She saw you lying unconscious on your couch, so she quickly rushed you to the hospital. By the way, she left this morning; she was here all through the night,” Jeremiah explained.
“Folashade; she’s such a good person,” Jane remarked.
“She said you stay alone. How did she get in? Don’t you have a gate or something?” Jeremiah sat on the hospital bed.
“She stayed with me for a while before getting her own place, so she literally knows everything about me,” Jane responded.
“I see. So you open up to women and not men?” Jeremiah raised his eyebrows.
Jane rolled her eyes and said, “thought I told you to stay away from me?”
“Madam, you’ll probably be dead or in a coma if it wasn’t for me. Yesterday, I was the only doctor available to attend to you,” Jeremiah replied.
“Thank you,” Jane expressed her gratitude.
“The hostile lady appreciates? That’s new,” Jeremiah scoffed.
“So what’s the diagnosis? Why did I lose consciousness?” Jane inquired.
“Hypotension,” Jeremiah answered.
“As in, low blood pressure?” Jane questioned.
“Accurate. When the body loses too much liquid that it takes in, a condition of dehydration is inevitable. And one of the many causes of hypotension is dehydration. When the blood pressure is lower than expected, losing unconsciousness is one of the symptoms of hypotension,” Jeremiah explained.
“So is there any underlying cause, or it’s just dehydration?” Jane queried.
“It’s not something that requires a neurologist,” Jeremiah smiled. “Seems you’re going to be stuck with me for a while,” he added.
“Why?” Jane questioned.
“You’ll be coming for frequent check-ups till I say you’re fully ‘whole’,” Jeremiah responded.
“Are you saying I can go home now?” Jane asked.
“Not until you’re done with your IV infusion.” Jeremiah stood up and walked to the door. “Don’t worry about the hospital bill; it’s on the house,” he continued.
“What did you say your name was again?” Jane inquired.
“Doctor Jeremiah Daniel,” Jeremiah replied.
“Thank you, doctor,” Jane expressed her gratitude.
Jeremiah sighed and left the room.
     Jeremiah’s baritone voice rang persistently in Jane’s head, and his smile resonated a surge of joy in her.
     “What kind of man is he? Despite the fact that I snubbed him, he behaves exceptionally calm to me. What does he want? He is handsome though,” Jane mused.

     With a fit and athletic build, thirty-year old Jeremiah Daniel wore sporting waves; a hairstyle that added a touch of sophistication to his overall appearance. His dark eyes and fair complexion only reflected but “a tip of the iceberg”. His intelligence and appearance often caught the attention of those around him.
     Unlike Jane, Jeremiah was a believer; one who didn’t joke with his walk with Christ. Jeremiah spent most of his years building a career as a doctor and walking with his savior at the side. He believed he was built for an impact in the health sector and in the Christian community.
     Jeremiah maintained a close relationship with his family and just like many mothers, Jeremiah’s mom yearned for a grandson but never for once did she pressure him. Jeremiah was the first of three siblings and he was the most exceptional of them all.

     An hour later, Jane was discharged from the hospital and was informed the schedule at which she would be meeting the doctor. She got to her home, took her a deep shower and drove to her favorite restaurant, where she met Fola at the counter.
     “Hey, can I talk to you for a moment?” Jane requested.
“Yeah,” Fola consented. “Hey Johnson, take over!” Fola spoke to a waiter.
Both ladies walked to Jane’s favorite spot and reclined on the chairs.
“Thank you, Fola… Thank you so much,” Jane expressed her gratitude.
“That’s the least I can do, Jane,” Fola placed her left hand on Jane’s shoulder. “So, did the doctor explain the cause?” Fola asked.
“Yeah, he said it’s hypotension but it’s not something I should be bothered about,” Jane answered.
“Medications and all?” Fola lifted her hands from Jane.
“Yeah, and I’m following a regimen; I need to take in more water now,” Jane responded.
“Thank God! That’s enough wine and junk food,” Fola folded her right hand in a gesture. “Coincidentally, that guy here yesterday was the only doctor available,” Fola added.
“Yeah, he said that,” Jane said.
“Such a cool guy. With that snub you gave him yesterday? Many would have let you die,” Fola and Jane laughed. “He is cute though,” Fola added.
“And?” Jane raised her eyebrows.
“And you’re single!” Fola yelled lightly.
Jane hissed.
“Madam, you’re getting old,” Fola patted her back. “Let me get you a bottle of water now,” Fola chuckled, while walking to the counter.
“Silly girl,” Jane muttered.
     Jane’s phone beeped; it was a message from Esosa.