DEFYING THE ODDS

"Just one more check-up, and you're good to go," Jeremiah loosed the sphygmomanometer cuff from Jane's arm.

"That means, I'll soon stop seeing your ugly face soon," Jane retorted.

"Don't you mess with me, I'm the doctor here, and I can extend your check-up period if I want to," Jeremiah smiled.

"Surely, you can't do that," Jane said.

"I can, actually. I won't be the first to defy rules to see the face of an angel, right?" Jeremiah raised his eyebrows.

Jane rolled her eyes and rose from her seat.

"Hey, I was wondering if you're doing nothing tomorrow... Tomorrow evening, I mean," Jeremiah scratched his hair.

"What? Am I having more 'check-ups'?" Jane inquired.

"Nah, that's professional. This is more like a date," Jeremiah scratched his hair the more.

"You got bugs in your hair?" Jane questioned.

"No... That can't be... Definitely not. I do that when I'm nervous," Jeremiah stammered.

"Where?" Jane asked.

"Where, what?" Jeremiah folded his lips.

"Where are we going to?" Jane questioned.

"Oh... I don't have a place in mind," Jeremiah answered.

"You're so not ready, are you?" Jane laughed.

"Absolutely not... It was spontaneous. I mean, I thought I wouldn't be seeing you after the check-ups, so..." Jeremiah moved his head.

"A movie is premiering at 6 pm in cinemas tomorrow. I'll forward you the address," Jane smiled.

"But you don't have my number," Jeremiah said.

"Where's your phone?" Jane inquired.

Jeremiah brought out his phone from his pocket and handed it over to Jane, who typed in her number and returned the phone back to Jeremiah.

"Send me a text so I won't forget," Jane walked to the door with her white purse.

"Thanks," Jeremiah expressed his gratitude.

Jane smiled, opened the door and walked out. A surge of joy immediately washed over Jeremiah and he couldn't help but sit and smile. For the first time in a very long time, he was ready to accommodate someone again. Though handsome and attractive to many ladies, Jeremiah had only being in one relationship and that was with his ex, Temi.

Jeremiah and Temi met in his first year in college. Temi could be described as an "easy catch" for Jeremiah as she made herself emotionally available. Jeremiah's relationship with Temi lasted for two years. It ended when Temi decided to drop out of school and elope with her exorbitant coursemate, Steven. This incident created a deep injury in Jeremiah's heart and so he decided to focus on his studies and his work with God.

The walls of the clinic promoted a sense of tranquility in Jeremiah's mind. The adjustable examination table at the center of the room allowed patients to assume a comfortable position during various medical procedures. A couple of cushioned chairs rested near the table, where patients could sit and converse with healthcare providers. On one side of the room, a desk held electronic medical record systems to access patients information and record examination findings. The walls were adorned with medical charts, anatomical diagrams and informative posters, providing valuable health tips to patients. The clinic room also featured a soundproof system, to ensure privacy during sensitive situations. Overall, the clinic room was designed to provide patients with the best examination experience.