THE LIBERATION SISTERHOOD

The second floor of The Sisterhood’s mansion harbored the meeting room. A harmony of colors adorned the room. With paintings and artifacts strategically positioned on the walls and a huge shelf containing books of many kind, this large room gave a full history lesson. At the center of the room laid an enormous grand table with seats meticulously arranged round the table. For thirst quenching, a huge wine cellar harbored the finest wines in the state. Though designed in an archaic manner, the artistry of the meeting room was beyond remarkable.
     Bathed with a soft glow of chandeliers, a diverse assembly of female characters scattered round the room; some drinking wine, some going through the bookshelf, some looking at artworks and some chatting loudly. The meeting had not commenced because Mother Liberation’s presence was yet to be recorded. Mesmerized by the painting of Emmeline Pankhurst, Jane failed to realize Esosa stood by her side, holding a glass of red wine.
     “In the early twentieth century, Christabel, Sylvia, and Adela fought alongside their mother, Emmeline Pankhurst, to agitate for women’s right to vote in the United Kingdom. Her advocacy was instrumental in securing women’s suffrage in the United Kingdom,” Esosa explained.
“You give history lessons now?” Jane faced Esosa.
“Isn’t it remarkable to have your children by your side for the same cause?” Esosa asked.
“You talk as if you have one,” Jane walked forward.
“Men tell themselves that the best thing that can happen to a woman is ‘childbirth.’ And that’s a lie. There are better things than childbirth,” Esosa followed Jane.
“You’re expressing your hate for children now?” Jane faced Esosa with a stern look.
“They’re hindrances to the cause,” Esosa sipped some wine.
Jane scoffed.
“Jane, I’ve noticed you’re becoming soft. Is it the doctor?” Esosa rolled her eyes.
“You, bloody bastard. How did you know about him?” Jane questioned.
“Come on now, we have our members everywhere… Even in hospitals,” Esosa smirked.
“Let me tell you something. You hate children because you couldn’t give your ex-husband one,” Jane said.
“Who said I hate children?” Esosa raised her hands and widened her eyes. “You want to have children, don’t you?” Esosa queried.
“Esosa, stop monitoring my movements or else…” Jane said.
“Or else, what? You’ll report me to Mother Liberation? It’s not as if she’ll exhume her assistant out of The Sisterhood,” Esosa interrupted. “Six years ago, one of our sisters deviated from The Sisterhood because of a man. Long story short, her man was murdered and she committed suicide. If you really love that doctor, stay away from him,” Esosa walked to the wine cellar to get a refill.
     A surge of fear washed over Jane. Esosa was mean but she never lied about the history of The Sisterhood. While Jane understood the consequences of leaving The Sisterhood, she never thought they were capable of going to that extent.

     “The Witch and Angel”, as she described herself, Esosa Osayande was a six-feet tall light-skinned lady. Separated from her husband because of her inability to produce children, the thirty-six year old lady was the villain in many stories.
     Though warned by The Sisterhood to stop pushing women to the edge, Esosa was an adamant and abrupt assistant. According to the principles of The Sisterhood, if Mary retired, she would take over.
     Esosa never for once liked Jane as she felt Mother Liberation loved Jane more than her. She was a very jealous personality, that nobody understood her next move. She called herself, “The Witch And Angel”, because she was capable to obliterating men and bringing peace to women.

     Mother Liberation walked in, clothed in a black cloak. The cloak’s fabric shimmered with an air of elegance and her silhouette exuded an aura of confident grace. She took her seat at the extreme end of the table and yelled, “Everyone, sit!”
     All twenty-five members of The Liberation Sisterhood quickly sat round the table with Esosa next to Mary.
     “All hail, Mother Liberation,” the crowd praised.
“Across the nation and in every state, today being our monthly communion, is indeed an exceptional day for The Sisterhood. I informed my assistant, Esosa, to make contact with all of you to make sure you don’t miss this meeting,” Mary swallowed. “Over the past few weeks, I have been unsettled in my spirit. While the feeling I have is inexplicable, it is my duty to share this with you. A war is coming, and this war will be instigated by one of our sisters here today. Yes, you heard me right; one of you will betray us soon,” Mary continued.
Everyone murmured, and Emma asked aloud, “Mother, how true is this?”
“I have been having frequent nightmares and disturbing daydreams,” Mary answered.
“So we’re gathered here today because you’ve been having nightmares?” Rose retorted.
“Don’t you dare question my authority, Rose. Remember you were in the gutters when I found you. I found you and washed you up. I took you out of your state of despondency, and I can send you back!” Mary slammed the table.
“Pardon her carelessness, Mother,” Stephanie pleaded.
“Many years ago, I had evil nightmares like these, and we lost sisters to our enemies. This time is different; I am prepared for what is to come. Never will I lose a daughter again!” Mary yelled. “I don’t know who will betray this family, but I am fully prepared for you… Even to the grave!” Mary uttered.
     The crowd applauded Mary’s confidence.
“That being said, who has something to say?” Mary inquired.
“I have, Mother,” Jane responded.
“Speak up, my child,” Mary commanded.
Jane stood up and began, “it has come to my notice that I am being incessantly watched by some sisters in this society. Mother, I value my privacy and do not want that.”
“We monitor our sisters for their safety!” Esosa interjected.
“Quiet, Esosa!” Mary yelled. “Daughter, Esosa is right. Since the death of some of our sisters, this society has made it a task to watch the actions of every member. But if you insist on not being watched, we can permit that. Is that your wish, child?” Mary asked.
“Yes, Mother,” Jane answered.
“And so shall it be! No member of this society is permitted to watch the actions of Jane anymore. Anyone caught doing so will have my wrath invoked on her. And trust me, you don’t want to see my bad side,” Mary threatened. “Any other problem?” Mary questioned.
Mary’s threat sent a wave of fear across the room. Mary was many things but never the type to refute her words.
“In the absence of any, let us all rise,” Mary uttered.
Everyone stood up, and Mary yelled, “for the cause!”
“Anything will be done!” the crowd responded.
“Even to the grave!” Mary shouted.
“We will remain sisters!” the crowd shouted.
“Liberation!” everyone’s voice resounded across the mansion.

     The Liberation Sisterhood was a secret society of female feminists that drove the agenda of punishing men. They held underground and unlicensed therapy practices to console women suffering from emotional and physical abuse by men.
     Every branch in the country held their meetings in mansions. They had their communion every second Sunday of each month and they were considered as impetuous and fierce.
     Established by Mary Idubor, The Liberation Sisterhood, was an ever-growing society of women. “The cause”; their ultimate goal; was to put women in leadership and make men suffer. They recruited members everyday and were expanding their reach globally.

     Mary held a portion of her cloak with her right hand and walked downstairs. Esosa stormed towards Jane and snapped, “Idiot, you don’t know what you’ve just done! You just made yourself vulnerable!”
     Esosa followed Mary afterwards.