Chapter 6

"I hope you find the suppliers to your satisfaction", Mehek spoke professionally to Shaurya. For past days, Shaurya had been tagging along with her, in pretence to check quality of their food supplies. "Splendid", he exclaimed, trying hard to hide that he couldn't make head or tail out of it. To be honest, it was hard for him to stand in a stinky market, amidst blood and waste to check quality of meat & fish. "Are you okay?", Mehek who seemed to be in her element asked him plainly. "I am fine", he acted, suppressing his urge to gag. "You look pale. Perhaps a bit of fresh air will help you", she offered and he quickly accepted.

"You are overly invested in the restaurant", Mehek spoke as they walked side by side, "it is rare for the top level to step in to check basics". "I just want to know", Shaurya lied. In truth, he was using every excuse in book to spend time with her. Despite his efforts, it was difficult to melt down the ice walls she had built around her. But he couldn't help but feel proud of her. She is best in her profession. A perfectionist who served tasty food without compromising on quality.

 "Shankar Sir", she explained, "Barkha Ma'am's grandfather was same as you. A business man keen on details. Above all, he was a pure chef in his heart. I learned a lot from him". He decided to be a listener, happy to learn more about her journey. "It was tough for me until he took me under his wing", she told in flow, but quickly became alert not to spill more about her. "I have heard a lot about him", he sighed, "may god rest his soul in peace".

As if encouraged by the restful silence amidst them, Shaurya started to share, "Once I was out of my grandfather's shadow, life was too bright and sunny. Still I didn't give up. Bit by bit, stone by stone, I made my own business. "I always knew you will make your own mark", Mehek spoke earnestly.

"Shaurya, what happened?", Mehek was aghast when she found him in his room. It been few months, she has been taking tuitions from him. Although a stranger in her town, people knew  that he was a learned boy from a good family. Apart from tuition classes, he did multiple part-time jobs to make money while studying as well. They admired his efforts to fund his own education. Mehek has eagerly arrive at his home in pretence of attending class but she knew his exam results were out. Hence it shocked when she found him broken and agonised.

"I lost one paper", Shaurya spoke while tears brimmed his eyes, "I failed". In disbelief, Mehek grabbed paper from hands to recheck it. "Shaurya, you can give it for re-evaluation", she suggested, "else you can prepare to give it again in few months. You have cleared all remaining papers. So I am sure you will come out in flying colours". "You don't understand, Mehek", he scoffed, "My grandfather thinks I am wasting my time idly rather than focusing on studies. He is not realising that how difficult it is for me to handle jobs and studies". "I can understand better than anyone, Shauyra. Families can be difficult", she consoled him, "but they love us so will come around".

"You don't know anything about my grandfather", Shaurya chided, "infact you don't know enough  about me also". While Mehek remained puzzled, he narrated his story to him. Just like Mehek, his parents passed away when he was too young. His grandfather took care of him and he grew up as a pampered boy. As a reckless youngster, he got into some serious trouble in bad company. Soon his grandfather cut him off mercilessly, despite being the only heir. He shall be accepted back unless he proves himself. It was Shaurya's last chance to get back into good books of his grandfather.

Mehek was astonished by the revelation. Soon it turned to admiration. She can only imagine the difficulties he faced to adjust to poor circumstances while being banished from luxuries. "I failed", he cried on her shoulder. She was quick to grab his face in her small hands. "This is just a setback, Shaurya. I am sure you will come out of it", she encouraged him. "You really think so", he asked doubtfully. She was quick to answer, "Ofcourse, I do. You are the most hardworking and smart person, I have met". He scoffed, "but unlucky". "you will make your own fortune", she insisted, "I am confident you will".

For many, Shaurya was a role model. He was kind and dedicated teacher. But his relationship with Mehek grew to be unique. In short time, they became close friends despite their different nature. Mehek felt she was not a mere friend for him. His behaviour and actions often gave away that he started to like her. It was love at first sight for her. She had already fallen for him. From the moment she met him, she knew he was meant for her. Although none acknowledged their feeling with words, it was clear for them. They waited for other person to spill the beans.

A new wave of confidence crashed over him. Mehek's words made him look over the road block and work towards success. He wouldn't have been moved incredibly if those words were from anyone else. Mehek was special for him because she is the one he loves. At that moment, he knew it was foolish to wait anymore. "I love you, Mehek", he confessed. Eventhough she was shocked by his sudden revelation, she replied shyly, "I love you too, Shaurya". Without waiting for another moment, they sealed their confession with passionate kiss.

"It was not easy, but I didn't give up", Shaurya told her openly, "whenever failure urged me to give up, I remembered your words". Mehek suddenly became uncomfortable when he mentioned their past. The she was a silly lass who had absolute trust on her dream boy. A stupid girl who didn't realise that she and Shaurya were from different worlds. "Amidst everything, I kept searching for you", his words added to her discomfort, "but I failed to find you". 

"I am sorry ", Shaurya apologised. Clearly he wanted to make Mehek understand his struggles but she was not ready to listen."I will take bus from here", she avoided him. "Mehek, I will drop you in my car", trying to get some more time with her. "It's okay. I have some other place to be", she quickly ran towards the bus that has just stopped. He looked on in dismay as she alighted the bus without sparing another glance to him.

As the vehicle moved away, Mehek took a deep breath to calm herself. It was difficult for Mehek to accept that Shaurya had searched for her. May be she didn't want to. She was his unwanted wife whom he has casted away as soon as she lost their child, the prime reason of their marriage. But she agreed that it may have been difficult to seek her out. She never hid herself, just tried to escape from everyone who discarded her. In desperation, she ran without direction. Losing her into her own bewilderment. She assumed that all wished her away so remained off the grid, cutting off ties with anyone who knew her.