Intermission-Clay

Zacznij od początku

        My face felt hot. "You...did your research." 

        "Of course I did. I'm not an idiot," she snapped. "Or do you think I'm one?"

        "No, of course not, just..." I felt stuck—fairly so. Exhaling, I said, "Kylie, I actually really like you." 

        "Yeah, sure, and I'm the queen of England. Like I said: not interested in being yours for what, two days? Two hours? How long are you even here for?" she said, crossing her arms.

        Well now she'd trapped me. Looking down, I said, "Um, well, I actually planned on staying in town as long as you wanted. But I can go back to Canada if you want."

        Was that a smile flickering across her lips? "Okay, so tell me: why am I different?"

        "Because I know both of us will get hurt if I throw this away," I said truthfully. 

        "You know you're a moron, right?" Kylie asked. 

        I grinned. "My best quality."

        "And I'll be a moron if I say yes?" she added.

        Feeling bolder, I jumped up on the counter, swinging my legs over so I was sitting facing her again. "Yes, Kylie." 

        She stepped closer, letting me stumble right into her blue eyes. My heart skipped again; this girl was going to kill me. That sweet smile, that radiant confidence. Kylie Borgen was heartwrenchingly lovely.

        I don't think I'd ever described a girl as lovely. 

        "I told you you're a moron right?" she murmured, her palms down on either side of my legs.

        "You did," I said, my pounding heart almost drowning out the words coming out of her mouth. She was impossibly close now, so close that I had to wonder just how much she loved teasing me like this. So close I could smell the sweet scent of her mango shampoo.

        "Good," Kylie murmured. She yanked me into a rough kiss, fisting the collar of my shirt with both hands. Even though I was the one sitting on the counter, the one much taller than her, it was clear she was entirely in control. She was dragging her lips across mine, close to pulling away before crushing me in another kiss. It was a relentless cycle, sending adrenaline racing through my head.

        She's going to be the death of me. 

        Kylie broke the kiss for real, still hovering what felt like millimeters away. "You're going to take me on three dates. To show me you're serious," she said, gulping in the fresh air.

        "Three dates," I repeated, also breathless.

        "Three dates where we go out and be crazy and have fun and actually live like Kylie and Clay would," she said, still holding the sides of my face like she was scared to let go. "And then we see what it's like. Deal?" 

        "What's our first date?" I asked.

        She laughed, the sound almost knocking me over in its beauty. "You have to decide, silly." 

        "So what if I choose on this counter..."

        "Somewhere else," she said, rolling her eyes—except they had that sparkle in them that gave away that she was secretly smiling. 

        "I don't know, you seem pretty happy right here," I said smoothly, much more confident now that we'd gotten past the rocky part.

        "Somewhere else. But for now..." she trailed off, tugging me into another round of hot kisses. I could still taste the alcohol on her lips, practically burning through my mouth. 

        For the longest time, it was the best kiss of my life. Then she slowly stepped back, her eyelashes brushing my cheeks. Smiling down at her, I asked, "Tomorrow can I take you to the zoo for our first date?"

        She was glowing now. "The zoo?" 

        "Yeah." I was smiling so hard my face hurt.

        "The zoo sounds perfect, Clay," she said softly, her hands still at the base of my neck. I nearly swooned as she brushed my jaw with her thumbs. Every touch was worth more than gold when it came to her.

        "Great. I'll pick you up at eleven," I said, trying not to go ballistic in my head.

        "I can't wait," she said, beaming.

        "Hey, uh, you won't get fired for that or anything, will you?" I asked, blushing.

        Kylie laughed. "No, it's fine. It's not like we're busy." 

        "Phew. Then I'll see you tomorrow?" I said, jumping back to the floor.

        She bit her lip for just a second before smiling. "Yeah. See ya, Clay."

        I was the luckiest man in the world to be going to the zoo with Kylie Borgen.