Chapter 38- Surprise!

Start from the beginning

While everyone looked very curious at the arrival, Mo-er, Emperor Shen, and Haixiong looked highly displeased. They clearly knew what Empress Jin was trying to do. She intentionally gave Bai Yuan the furthest seat, called Yang Zi later so that she could use the excuse of having not enough seats left other than the vacant seat near Yiheng. Then, she would insist Yang Zi sit beside the guest, with Yiheng.

Wang Yiheng was silently enduring the pathetic acts, his deep eyes not leaving Bai Yuan for a second. However, Bai Yuan, the famous host-from-modern-era,  looked busy entertaining the pretty ladies around him. His charm was not only eye-catching but also irresistible. Those warm sparkly azure eyes shaded with some dark blue eye shadow, sharp nose, plump rosy lips, and his perfect smile. Wang Yiheng was slowly starting to taste sour vinegar as he gazed deeply at Bai Yuan's playfulness with others.

Why does he never smile at me like that?

A maiden entered the hall in pale pink hanfu, embroidered with flower patterns. She appeared very docile and fragile like a clay doll. That was the national beauty of Wu Xi, daughter of Minister Yang and the proud niece of Empress Jin, Yang Zi. She was indeed a renowned beauty. Whereas comparison should be done between two things of the same level, Bai Yuan and Yang Zi were on totally different levels. One was bold in every way, however, the other appeared innocent and gentle.

Except for two people, everyone was captivated by the sudden arrival. Wang Yiheng's only concern was Bai Yuan who seemed to be a little late to notice Yang Zi. He was very firmly tolerating the unfair seat arrangement of Empress Jin.

A soft voice came floating, "Yang Zi greets the Emperor of Wu Xi and the Emperor of Xia. Zi-er is sincerely sorry for arriving late."

Empress Jin looked more enthusiastic than anyone, "It's absolutely okay, Zi-er, my lovely child! Consider it as your family meal. Now, hurry up and take a seat. Maids!"

Wang Mo-er was huffing in anger, "She did it on purpose. She just insulted my YuanYuan in front of everyone!"

Shen Haixiong was also bothered by his mother's acts, "I'm so sorry. She doesn't listen to anything I say, you know… I feel bad for Consort Bai."

Wang Mo-er wasn't in the mood for an apology. She glared at her brother who seemed to be focused on something else. She followed the gaze and found Bai Yuan cracking jokes and being flirty with the ladies around his seat as if the insult just now wasn't thrown at him. She whispered, "Brother!"

Wang Yiheng didn't hear.

"Brother!"

He didn't hear.

"Imperial Brother!"

Wang Mo-er turned his head in shock because it wasn't she who called Yiheng so loudly.

Everyone who was waiting for their food to be served turned their necks towards the door and their jaws dropped as soon as the handsome second prince of the Xia Empire, Wang Xiyi, stepped in. His blazing maroon hanfu fluttered in the air, the same as his dark brown hair crowned with a silver ornament. As if, Wang Mo-er saw light in the darkness, she jumped in happiness, "Xiyi! Oh my God, you actually came?"

Someone from the crowd exclaimed, "The gems of the Xia Empire are all here at once! I may faint any time, Ah~"

Some even actually fainted.

Xiyi took sturdy steps as he walked in, "How could I not? My one and only sister invited me. I had to come."

He stopped in front of the small but wide staircase and bowed to the Emperor, "Wishing a very good afternoon to the sun of my favorite Empire, Emperor Shen!"

Emperor Shen stood up and climbed down to embrace Wang Xiyi in a warm hug, "It's very good to see you after so long, Prince Xiyi. You've become more handsome. Come. The food is getting cold, take a seat."

Emperor Shen purposely took Xiyi to the vacant seat near Yiheng. Yiheng cooly replied to his previous address, his eyes still gloomy, "You could've just come with us. Why didn't you tell me?"

Xiyi replied playfully, hiding his mouth from others, "I wanted you and Sister-in-law to enjoy the ride together. "

Then he realized, "Wait, where's the ca- I mean, my fierce Brother in law?"

He looked back to eye contact with Mo-er and followed her indication. He had to squint his eyes to locate Bai Yuan among the ladies and instantly turned to meet his brother's frosty eyes. He looked back and quickly mouthed, "Sister! What should I do?"

Wang Mo-er mouthed back, "Idiot! Change seats!"

Xiyi suddenly stopped in his steps and looked at the Emperor with excitement in his eyes, "Your majesty, that spot seems more suitable for me. Just looking at those pretty maidens, my heart started racing! Can't I change my seats?"

Emperor Shen instantly understood his plan and laughed out loud, "Haha, sure sure. Go ahead, pick any seat you want."

He then again added," Oh, maids. Bring another set of table- chairs for the young miss to take a seat with my daughters."

His daughters were sitting downstairs at a distance but not so far as Bai Yuan.

Empress Jin and Zi-er also understood the situation. Empress Jin was giving Mo-er death glares who was skillfully avoiding her eyes. On the other hand, Zi-er's expression was turning sour slowly. Yiheng smiled softly at his siblings' act, "These kids. I better be more proactive from now on. I'm sure my wife is disappointed again." He was feeling pathetic.

***

A.N: I hope I didn't delay too much this time. Also, I really appreciate all the comments on the previous chapter. You guys having a fun time is what actually matters ✧⁠\⁠(⁠>⁠o⁠<⁠)⁠ノ⁠✧ Thank you for everything!