It didn't matter.

They struggled to see the fact that it didn't.

The days events playing over and over like a broken music box in their brain, stuttering over the parts that hurt the most. As always.

Their brain was just inexplicably built this way, a broken melody constantly replaying their inner anxieties until they wanted to tear it apart. It made no sense yet to them it made perfect sense.

They settled back down on their bed, sighing lightly. They had a wish sitting just on the tip of their tongue, tasting bittersweet, like betrayal.

Their wish was a selfish one, but one that was shared with others.

They wished they hadn't left.

They wish that they too hadn't left.

They almost wished that no one had died at all. Yet remembering the torment and loss they faced every day, they took back their wish biting it back, wishing that they had never thought it in the first place. How selfish they could be.

They found this to be a terrible trait they held, yet as they stared at the ceiling of their room, they truly wished that things were as they used to be back in their youth.

Vi ran a hand through their washed out hair, the dye had long since vanished from it, and they longed to get more dye to change it from the hideous blonde it found itself to be.

Yet as they thought more and more, their cheeks still burning with the shame that was the dinner they had ruined, they thought back to the three they had nicknamed as the Care Bears, and Lust too.

Maybe someday Vi would have some incentive to invite them out, but until then they just grumbled to themself in their thoughts about all they had done wrong. They needed a distraction. Apart from the Tv they already had playing things. They sucked in a breath, sighing out.

"Why?" Was all they muttered, and they didn't even know the answer themselves, but they submitted to the ideal, wondering why. Why did they have to react like that at dinner? Why did they treat them like that at first? Why did they leave?

When they could feel sleep taking hold, drawing it's warm tendrils over their eyes they settled down, pulling a blanket up to their chin and they gave in.

Allowing themselves to fall asleep early.

•••

By the time they woke up the next morning, it was late, the sun already shining, neighborhood dogs barking. It annoyed them to no end, yet it sent a painful pang straight to their heart, nostalgia burning at their very core, like flames licking up into the sky.

They sighed sitting up. They curled their legs towards their chest and sat like that a little longer, before finally getting out of bed and walking into the kitchen. They didn't know what to eat, whether to eat or to cook or to just go hungry. Their stomach growled almost immediately that second, seeming angry at the prospect of going without food a second longer.

They sighed once more, opened the door to the fridge and gasped, suddenly spotting the pie from the day before. Excitedly they pulled it out, grabbing a fork and carrying it over to the couch.

They poked the fork into the pie curiously, pulling it back to see a tiny bit of the contents on the prongs. Carefully they tasted it and it felt as if their tongue was in heaven. Marion-berry heaven. They quickly ate quite a lot of the pie, a lot more than they should've, but they weren't gonna throw up, right?